Tired of Plain Stands

Tsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used set up to get back into the hobby after being out for 5 years. The stand with the setup was showing some wear and tear. I found a tile I liked and then my wife found a tile she liked. First, I framed in the insets on all three sides to provide a flat surface to bond the tile to. I cut a door to replace the others. I used large tile to eliminate having to use tile backer board over the stand. I glued the tile to the stand using Loctite Power Grab Ultimate. The hardest part was cutting the long lengths of tile. Most cutters are 24 inches or less. In hindsight, I would use a smaller tile in the 8-10 inch width and 30-36 inch length. I would also rent a tile saw from Home Depot if I were to do it again instead of a wet circular saw. I still have some adjusting to do on the hinges.

Materials
1x4 planks
wet tile saw
tile cutter
Loctite Power Grab
Wood Screws
Hidden Hinges x4 for door
Tiles x3, 24x48 inches

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg
IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I really like the look. On my used stand, it has Four Doors with Glass inserts. I’m going to back light them with Blue LED Lights that are for Vehicle Underbody/Interior Lighting. The Stand is white now, I’m going to put a coat of White Gloss Topside Paint on it as soon as the Weather Breaks. Then paint the outside Satin Black. I painted the wall behind the Aquarium Dark Blue, Color “Ink” on the Behr’s Color Chart. BTW, Makita has a Battery Powered Wet saw, for tile cutting tile. Hand held circular saw with a bottle to drip water on the cut.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back