Tissue Necrosis on New Walt Disney Frag

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received this frag from WWC today. I opened it and it looked like more than half is bleached (only one branch looks okay). Contacted WWC and they will resend a new frag (They will need to frag it and it will take about 8 wks) or store credit. In the mean time they stated I can go ahead and frag off the branch that is not bleached. I have not frag before. I don't have a bone cutter so can I take a sharp scissor and cut it at the base/joint to separate the good branch. Also what if I do not frag it, would the good branch eventual necrose? Thanks.

WDFrag.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there air in the shipping container it came in?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would frag immediately. It’s RTN because WWC would not ship that if it was.
If you have a pair of wire cutters use that. I’ve done it before and its worked fine as a last ditch effort.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be fine if you give it enough recovery time. if you want to frag yes anything sharp. honestly you could just leave as is tissue could start growing over it again.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ucf I would frag that right away. it's possible but a slim chance it might live or you could wake up tomorrow & have nothing left to frag.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as well. Frag it. Right now. If RTN tomorrow will likely be too late to save anything.

You can literally just cut it (probably could just break it off with your fingers since it's a small frag but it might break in the middle) and super glue it to a rock if you don't have a frag plug.
If not super glue, stick it on a rock with good lighting and worry about it tomorrow. (I'm assuming it's already in your DT?)

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just frag what is left. So bummed out. Was looking forward to this frag...Thank you all for your input. Hopefully with some divine intervention it pulls through.

A Reef Insanity (ARI)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id frag the ill part off. If you are not into fragging and have wire cutters and any super glue that is the easiest way with household tools. You may have to slide a knife under the glue; easier to work with off the plug.

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had terrible luck with Tenuis recently, I now have O having lost 2 to unexplained RTN. one day healthy next RTN. I hope your fragging works

A Reef Insanity (ARI)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity I have to carefully ask if anyone believes Tissue Necrosis may be more common the past several years because of more usage of LED's? After all; this is a coral bleaching topic. I am in love with LED only tanks; but as someone targeting fast growth and coloration (because I sell) I swear by T5's and most my ATI's have Reefbrites XHO actinics strapped to them with the ramp up/down feature from using Apex and dimming ballasts. The looks of LED is mind blowing but I have been cautious personally about dedicating even just 1 of my 8 tanks to LED solely. I can't bring myself to do it. Personally in my opinion I believe Tissue Necrosis / coral bleaching is partially caused by LED's more than we know. I said I cautiously post this because I respect and love the looks of LED's and understand ALOT / most people have invested ALOT on these fixtures.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag didn't make it. It was all bleached out when I got home.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the nature of this hobby, unfortunately. It probably had a tough time in shipping. No telling what happened along the way.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah bummer on the frag hope you didn’t pay too much for it. Lots of other places sell WD frags that are as good or better than wwc that might be able to give you a better price and faster turnaround so something to consider.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back