Titanium reading icp

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a second (increased) monthly reading of titanium in icp.

Last month was 1,5 ug, this month was 3,2.

Found surprisingly little about titanium in the water column on Google and this forum.

Anyone got an idea from where this titanium could be coming from? As far as I understood titanium wouldnt rust and leach into the water column?

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level sounds low and not a concern, but it may also be test error.

Do you have the report to post?
Sorry, forgot to attach the report.

Yes sure it could of course be a test error due to the low reading. But then again it has showed up in the last two icp (I send in monthly and have never had a reading before), and gone from 1,5 to 3,2 ug.
If something might be causing it to increase I figure its better to catch it sooner rather than later :)
Just don't know where to look for titanium :D

Attachments

• analysis-3407.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 30

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their "reference range" is very high relative to real NSW values that I have seen. Not sure why, but you are within their reference range, and I would not be worrying about it. It may be near their machine limit. At least in 2016, when they posted it, 1 ug/L titanium was about the limit of detection for Triton. I do not know for Fauna Marin.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their "reference range" is very high relative to real NSW values that I have seen. Not sure why, but you are within their reference range, and I would not be worrying about it. It may be near their machine limit. At least in 2016, when they posted it, 1 ug/L titanium was about the limit of detection for Triton. I do not know for Fauna Marin.
But no guess about (if its not an error) what could have caused it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But no guess about (if its not an error) what could have caused it?

Not really.

Do you have any titanium objects? Most common are grounding probes, heat exchangers, heaters.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.

Do you have any titanium objects? Most common are grounding probes, heat exchangers, heaters.
Not that I know of. I read somewhere that titanium, in some form, is used as a whitening product in cosmetics, paint etc.
I can't find any other cause tbh... Unless there's a titanium screw somewhere... But then again.. Does titanium even rust or "leak" into the water column?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of. I read somewhere that titanium, in some form, is used as a whitening product in cosmetics, paint etc.
I can't find any other cause tbh... Unless there's a titanium screw somewhere... But then again.. Does titanium even rust or "leak" into the water column?

I just realised that I have a DIY hood over the display tank. I've painted both the doors and the frame in white paint used for outdoor wooden walls, to prevent water/moisture to get through to the wood.
The shop assured me that as soon as it has dried it does not leak. But then again, this was a typical hardware store so the staff is hardly experts in paint.

The hood sits straight on the tank but with a foam frame in between the wood and the glass.

Attachments

• 20210519_113421.jpg
    20210519_113421.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanium used as a whitener is particulate titanium dioxide, and is no more likely to dissolve than is the coating of titanium dioxide on the surface of titanium metal (although it will have a higher surface area to do so). Nothing is "insoluble", and titanium alloys will certainly vary in their dissolution tendency, but reports of elevated titanium are so few and far between that I think an error is reasonably likely.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would update this thread. Just got a new icp result (have had a few in between as well). Titanium always present but this time it has increased to 3,7 ug/l. Before I've had readings of 3,1 ug/l.

Looking back on my last 5 icp (months) I've had titanium present.

Ive changed my heater so it can't be from that one (not even titanium heater as far as I know). Shouldn't have any other titanium screws around either.

Should I be concerned? Don't know if it's possible that my canopy over the aquarium, which is painted with white paint, could be the reason? Splashing salt water on the painted surface, which drips back in to the aquarium with traces of paint (titanium dioxide)?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back