OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... Yes, Planet Aquarium built my 8' tank and did a great job. No question in my mind that it won't be my last Planet Aquarium custom tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so... they have grown a noticeable amount in the 5 weeks since I picked them up, but are still tiny little things. The pictures are deceiving but you can get a better understanding of their size when you look at the silicon tank edge in the second picture. I think one is about an inch and one a hair under an inch.
trust me.. I've seen them when they are small. :wink:

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a new fish for the big tank today. He is a Black and White Butterflyfish (Heniochus acuminata), is 3.5-4" long, and over 6" tall with his banner sticking up. He has settled into the QT quickly and is already eating frozen food. I fully expected my daughter to name him Gil, but she immediately decided his name was Spock.

20121111185851.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice fish!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a new fish for the big tank today. He is a Black and White Butterflyfish (Heniochus acuminata), is 3.5-4" long, and over 6" tall with his banner sticking up. He has settled into the QT quickly and is already eating frozen food. I fully expected my daughter to name him Gil, but she immediately decided his name was Spock.

20121111185851.jpg
nice! keep us posted on how he does. :)

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates...

First, the wall tank:

Sand- I have siphoned out about 80% of the Marco fine sand so far over about a 3 week period (I do about 20% each water change). The Marco was just too fine for my taste and gets blown around too much. As the Marco comes out, I am slowly adding Tropic Eden Reef Flakes in it's place. I used this for my 20g build and really like it. About 1/3 of the bottom is covered by it so far using the leftovers from the 20g tank. I got another bag of it in the mail yesterday, so I should have the switch all completed in the next week or so. No ammonia spikes from the change so far.

Media- I changed out the Carbon and GFO on 11/17. I switched from the BRS Large Particle Lignite carbon to the Premium ROX. The excessive washing of that lignite to get rid of all the dust was getting on my nerves and the ROX is much better in that account. I know have 2.5lbs of the lignite that will need to be traded off at some point.

Black and White Butterfly- The butterfly is doing well in QT... it is Day 10 now. The first week was a Prazipro treatment that went well. A 30% water change was done on 11/17, followed by half dose of cupramine. The second half of the cupramine was added yesterday morning, per the directions. So far, he shows no sign of stress from the treatments and is eating like a pig. If all goes well, I will move him to the DT after 14 days of copper.

And for the 20g clown tank:

ATO- I got an Aquahub ATO kit and an aqualifter in the mail yesterday. I got it all assembled last night and it was a little more involved than I expected. I haven't actually installed it, as I am still deciding where I want to mount the project box and pump. I also have a BRS space-saver jug that I picked up in a group buy that will act as the ATO reservoir.

Lighting- I ordered new bulbs last week to replace the cheap ones that came with the light fixture. I ordered 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue special, and 1 ATI Coral+. I was informed that the Coral+ was out of stock, but the others arrived yesterday. I went ahead and installed the 2 Blue+, but will wait for the Coral+ to get here before installing the Aquablue. They share a ballast so It seemed to make sense to install them together.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates...

First, the wall tank:

Sand- I have siphoned out about 80% of the Marco fine sand so far over about a 3 week period (I do about 20% each water change). The Marco was just too fine for my taste and gets blown around too much. As the Marco comes out, I am slowly adding Tropic Eden Reef Flakes in it's place. I used this for my 20g build and really like it. About 1/3 of the bottom is covered by it so far using the leftovers from the 20g tank. I got another bag of it in the mail yesterday, so I should have the switch all completed in the next week or so. No ammonia spikes from the change so far.

Media- I changed out the Carbon and GFO on 11/17. I switched from the BRS Large Particle Lignite carbon to the Premium ROX. The excessive washing of that lignite to get rid of all the dust was getting on my nerves and the ROX is much better in that account. I know have 2.5lbs of the lignite that will need to be traded off at some point.

Black and White Butterfly- The butterfly is doing well in QT... it is Day 10 now. The first week was a Prazipro treatment that went well. A 30% water change was done on 11/17, followed by half dose of cupramine. The second half of the cupramine was added yesterday morning, per the directions. So far, he shows no sign of stress from the treatments and is eating like a pig. If all goes well, I will move him to the DT after 14 days of copper.

And for the 20g clown tank:

ATO- I got an Aquahub ATO kit and an aqualifter in the mail yesterday. I got it all assembled last night and it was a little more involved than I expected. I haven't actually installed it, as I am still deciding where I want to mount the project box and pump. I also have a BRS space-saver jug that I picked up in a group buy that will act as the ATO reservoir.

Lighting- I ordered new bulbs last week to replace the cheap ones that came with the light fixture. I ordered 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue special, and 1 ATI Coral+. I was informed that the Coral+ was out of stock, but the others arrived yesterday. I went ahead and installed the 2 Blue+, but will wait for the Coral+ to get here before installing the Aquablue. They share a ballast so It seemed to make sense to install them together.
good deal. hope all goes well with the black & white butterfly. it's about that time for me to refill with Tropic Eden Reef Flakes too. :)

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g tank update...

The back-ordered ATI Coral + arrived today and has been installed. From front to back, I now have B+,C+,AB, B+. I like it, but I was expecting it to be a little more blue. It is more blue than the stock bulb combo was, but I was thinking it would even more so. I took some pictures, but they are just phone pics. It seems that setting the white balance to "cloudy" is the closest to what it actually looks like.

Full Tank shot
20121128145408.jpg

Spending some time in the shade
20121128144748.jpg

One of the hermit crabs checking out a candy cane given to me by MBSL55.
20121128144827.jpg

Guarding a candy cane frag given to me by another friend.
20121128144713.jpg

Additionally, I have lined up a SRBTA for the tank. A friend has one that is basketball sized, and I got him to promise to hold on to the next split for me and I will get it from him when the tank is ready for one.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Black and White butterfly moved in to the big tank yesterday. The Tang spent about 30 minutes posturing, chasing the Butterfly off from any place she considered checking out. The butterfly finally got tired of it and bit a small chunk of the tang's anal fin. They have been perfectly fine since then, with the tang choosing to turn over king of the tank to the butterfly rather than get bit again.

20121217134919.jpg

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the herbivore tang won't touch broccoli but the omnivore butterfly seems to like it.

[video=youtube;nxO7ZGvK4G4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxO7ZGvK4G4[/video]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the herbivore tang won't touch broccoli but the omnivore butterfly seems to like it.

[video=youtube;nxO7ZGvK4G4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxO7ZGvK4G4[/video]

LoL. Hopefully the tang will learn from the butterfly. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL. Hopefully the tang will learn from the butterfly. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the tang hasn't learned from the butterfly but he taught the butterfly to eat flake. Lol

I bought a flame angel last Sunday and he is in the QT tank. He is very shy and I haven't seen him eat yet. I'm hoping he comes around soon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tang hasn't learned from the butterfly but he taught the butterfly to eat flake. Lol

I bought a flame angel last Sunday and he is in the QT tank. He is very shy and I haven't seen him eat yet. I'm hoping he comes around soon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.
good luck with the FA.

OP
OP
Titus

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with the FA.
Thanks... She is eating well now, although the slightest movement in the room still sends her into hiding. The tang acted the same way in QT, but came out of her shell as soon as she went in to the DT, so I am not very concerned.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back