TM BALLING METHOD - SALT RISING?

SaltyReefs

Reef Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing TM balling solutions for the past 2 weeks and have noticed an increase of my salinity levels. I have tried searching through the web on this subject but I could not find anything related to rising salinity. Is the increase of salinity levels expected? And if so, Is a water change in order? Do I dose less of Part C although the instructions say dose equal parts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, two part systems of all types, including TM Balling will raise salinity.

Just manually remove some old water and replace with RO/DI occasionally.

Very roughly, the salinity rise is about

3 ppt per year when dosing 0.4 dKH per day (a low dose)
35 ppt in a year when dosing 4.4 dKh per day (a very high dose)

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do a water change ( 10% in my case) at 1.025 instead of the 1.026 that my tank is. I do that weekly and never have issues, you can also wet skim.

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do a water change ( 10% in my case) at 1.025 instead of the 1.026 that my tank is. I do that weekly and never have issues, you can also wet skim.

Sorry to necro this old post, but I believe I am having the same issue. My salinity has been creeping up slowly. I have removed some tank water and let the top off just replace with RODI. But, the last time I mixed salt water, I just mixed it up a little lower and the levels were down after the water change.

Are both of these methods (taking water out VS water change with lower salinity) the same? Or is one preferred

Thanks,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necro this old post, but I believe I am having the same issue. My salinity has been creeping up slowly. I have removed some tank water and let the top off just replace with RODI. But, the last time I mixed salt water, I just mixed it up a little lower and the levels were down after the water change.

Are both of these methods (taking water out VS water change with lower salinity) the same? Or is one preferred

Thanks,

Both work fine. :)

Back