Tm Balling with 2 part help please

jenniferreichardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a hard time understanding the balling method but use BRS 2 part and was very stable before I started balling . It’s been a week now and my alk has gone from 8.3-6.5. My salinity has gone from 1.025-1.023. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong here.
I added the part a for moderate demand to my alk, park k for moderate demand to my cal, and made up a separate jug of balling c with the 4 scoops as directed.
so…I dose daily double the amount of my alk. Since alks been dropping, I’m adding more alk, therefore more part c daily.
my cal and mag have never been more stable. Alk is constantly dropping, even though I’m adding more daily.
HELP!!!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many aquarists find the balling method effective at maintianing alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I'd suggest verifying your test kits are accurate (I use multiple kits myself and occasionally I'll get a standard). The only way I see for salinity to drop is if fresh water is replacing salt water and that will certainly have an effect on alkalinity. So I'd suggest reviewing how your water changes are interacting with your dosing. IMO, what's important is monitoring and maintaining alklinity, calcium, magnesium and pH, use whatever method and test kits you find easiest to do it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back