TM Pro Reef (German)

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bashing or trying to start anything just asking advice and if this is normal. I was going to mix a new batch of salt and noticed that my brute had a good amount of residue floating on the water, on the sides, and on the bottom. I checked my fresh water brute and it was clean, both brutes have lids that are always on so isn’t an outside source. This is my third bucket of German pro reef and I don’t recall seeing residue like this in the past but it could just be an accumulation that I am now seeing. I know residue is fairly common with different salts I just hadn’t noticed it with this particular brand. Im wondering if I am safe to mix a batch in this RO water or if I should dump it, clean barrel and then refill and mix. I have heard some people saying they were having issues even with the German but I have not had any negative effects on my tank using it.

A5E2C60B-B12C-4A6C-BA05-E91CCC6EE897.jpeg BF99E2F8-A6FB-4576-94D6-7A88122973E1.jpeg C4BF8CA4-85A7-4D54-A56D-53D776EBAD1D.jpeg image.jpg

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my replacement bucket, but I'm too scared to use it. I did a tank transfer back in December and used all Turkey salt. It accounted for about 80% of the new water volume. I experienced an SPS crash shortly after. I can't say for sure the salt was the culprit, but I saw significant improvements after doing a series of large water changes. I'm using regular IO now.

OP, I did mix up 5 gallons of the replacement and didn't notice any residue or strange odors. It looked just like the old German blend I used to mix up. Hopefully someday I'll have the confidence to use it.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I did mix up 5 gallons of the replacement and didn't notice any residue or strange odors. It looked just like the old German blend I used to mix up. Hopefully someday I'll have the confidence to use it.
I’ve done (2) 15 gallon water changes with this bucket, when I finish my water changes i transfer water from my RO into the salt brute and then I’ll either mix the salt right then or just let the water circulate til I’m ready to mix a new batch but wether it’s fresh or mixed, the water is usually never stored more than a week and I have a powerhead in both brutes to keep the water from going stagnant that run 24/7. I’ve got some sps that have RTN and a couple that STN, but I didn’t attribute it to the salt just marked it down as finicky sps. All my other sps seem to be fine and showing signs of growth.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a tricky one.

I have gone through about 4 buckets of the classic now with the floating flakes and surface residue in my back up system and I can say that so far I haven’t experienced anything I’d consider undeniably alarming. Fortunately. And the more time that goes by and the more of this salt I pump in without incident the less hesitant I’ll be to use it in my main.

edit: immediately after I posted this I saw that lou did respond to and clarify this question in the other thread.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou at tmp has answer this just yesterday…I’m having not one issue with pro from Germany…and I have not seen many posts about folks having problems…

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back