TMC 110 watt UV owners

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What pump are you using with it ? I’m really happy I stumbled on this unit...thanks to a quick search for UV on here. Can’t beat the price and the reviews are good.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Great unit! High quality bulbs , good swell time and proper tube to light distance. I run mine off a manifold. Tons of pumps can work just figure out what your goal is between parasite vs bacteria/algae and then run the appropriate flow rate. There is a boatload if information on the specifics of UVC filtration on American Aquarium Products website.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed! Great unit! High quality bulbs , good swell time and proper tube to light distance. I run mine off a manifold. Tons of pumps can work just figure out what your goal is between parasite vs bacteria/algae and then run the appropriate flow rate. There is a boatload if information on the specifics of UVC filtration on American Aquarium Products website.
I can run mine off my return pump. And was going to use a flow meter from Apex but the reviews seem bad on them. Do you use one ? What size did you go with if so ? I used a separate pump on my pentair. I want the maximum benefit from this beast of a UV. Thanks

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120w smart uv, which calls for about 600 gph flow for max dwell time. I run it at about 400 gph, 2/3 the rate, with a sicce pump. Total system volume about 300 gals. I know there is a lot of debate about UV, but I have see a benefit from this setup, so I have kept it running like this for over two years. What is the suggested flow rate for your unit, for what you want it to do for you?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex FMM would be just fine in my opinion. Personally I do not use one. I just flow a known volume of water and time it to determine the flow rate I am achieving. On aside note will probably invest with some more independent flow meters or perhaps go the route of the hydros controller and flow meters.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spare 1" sensor for the FMM, so I figured I would just put it on the UV pump and see how much flow I was really getting through the lamp. When it was first hooked up, it stayed fairly constant. But over the time I have been running this setup, that meter has alerted me to situations that needed attention. The pump failed once on me, which conveniently happened while I was away, and my Apex program shut down the UV for me. The flow has at times been reduced because the pump was obstructed, and the Apex alerted me to go check it.

Given how important flow rates are on UVs, I like knowing what my rate is, and when there is something wrong with it. Not mandatory, but it does add value in my opinion.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 120w smart uv, which calls for about 600 gph flow for max dwell time. I run it at about 400 gph, 2/3 the rate, with a sicce pump. Total system volume about 300 gals. I know there is a lot of debate about UV, but I have see a benefit from this setup, so I have kept it running like this for over two years. What is the suggested flow rate for your unit, for what you want it to do for you?
My system is 325 total and very close to yours then. I’ll have to look a little harder at what flow rate is recommended for my new Uv.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back