To Catch a Mocking Wrasse

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 3 going on 4 year old dragon wrasse in my mixed reef that is time for him to go. I've got a potential new home for him going into a FOWLR 220 and eventually to a science center that has multiple salt water tanks for public display. The person getting the wrasse is out of town so, it's going to take some coordination to catch him and store him in a healthy habitat to get him to his final destination with as little stress as possible...

Dragon wrasse cover their burial mound with rocks and corals to prevent other wrasses from thinking it'd be a nice spot to burrow into. I have no other wrasses, but, habbits are hard to break. I have a strong Idea of where he sleeps in my 340. So, I was debating creating an enticing home for him using a larger plastic container. Fill the container with sand and throw some smaller rocks on top of it and settle it over his normal sleep space. Then, in the morning before the lights come on put a lid over the container and pull him out harmlessly.

It would need to be a deep enough container to have 3" inches of sand and a good 3" of water covering the sand. I'd probably place it over the top of his usual sleeping spot and scoop a lot of tank sand into it.

Is this an idea that would work? Or anyone have any other suggestions? He's extremely agressive eater, has teeth, and has been attacking my creole anthias. And I've had a couple weekends now where I didn't feed frozen food, just the auto feeder feeding pellets and flake. Each time I was gone... A clown fish went missing... The dragon wrasse is now to a size he could possibly have eaten them. He's made puncture wounds in my creole anthia biting him. They've locked jaws a few times now.. I'm surprised they both are alive, but, it's time for the wrasse to go.. He's killed countless frags of mine by burying them in the sand for me. The other day I pulled out about 20 frag plugs that were visible sticking out of the sand. Each had had a coral on it at one point that I had fragged.

Anyways, I'm mourning the fish and the damages as he's been fun to watch. He'd be going to a great home if I can catch him with the least amount of disturbance. Any other suggestions or experience catching wrasses?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pondered a similar situation that regarded catching fish from a reef tank before. Two best workable solutions were:

"Drain the Swamp" and pick the fish up off the substrate, or,

"Time for an Upgrade." Remove the rockwork, lower the water lever, net fish.

For the wrasse I think you want a fish trap. Don't feed for a day and then bait the trap and pray.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back