To copepod or not copepod

  • Thread starter Thread starter 19Mateo83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2023
Messages
1,848
Reaction score
2,370
Location
Charlotte
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was at a local beach recently and came across very porous shells. If properly sanitized and cycled, would these act as copepod habitats if added to a tank? Or sump
IMG_3800.jpeg
IMG_3799.jpeg
 
Virtually any surface area is usable to benthic copepods - even the surface area in the top couple layers of your sand bed, so sure. I think it's usually the next size up - amphipods or munnid isopods that would appreciate the larger holes, but while it's something, I'm not sure if it will make a noticeable difference in population.
 
I imagine they would be just as good if not better than any 3d printed pod hotel. They look better as well. I'd throw them in the sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new