To cover or not to cover....

slschuga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am relatively new to the reef hobby and have a starter 100 gal tank. The tank came with two removable pieces of glass covers plus an additional glass bridge in the center top opening.
I have seen tanks kept both ways covered and not covered but what is the best way?

I have also been told that I should not have to replace the salt in my tank unless I do a water change, but it would seem over time the evaporated salt collects around my tank opening and sump openings having evaporated out of the tank. It's typically around the base of the sump (no the sump is not leaking), and again around the opening of the tank. Why does this happen?

Thank you for your responses
Shari
:playball:

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no glass cover due to heat (what lighting r u running?) and lack of gas exchange. I do recommend a screen top though to keep fish from jumping.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass covers not only keep things from coming out (snails, fish) but keeps things from going in. I have parrots so feathers and dust get everywhere and the covers keep that stuff from getting in. Also means I can put the parrots on the tank and not have to worry about them going in. I vote yes for covering.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at bulk reef supply they have a clear mesh netting you can use along with aluminum screen channeling from lowes to make your own tops. That you can feed through and almost 99% of fish can not jump through. Glass tops IMO limit gas exchange and can trap heat. Also can diffuse your light wen dirty.

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at bulk reef supply they have a clear mesh netting you can use along with aluminum screen channeling from lowes to make your own tops. That you can feed through and almost 99% of fish can not jump through. Glass tops IMO limit gas exchange and can trap heat. Also can diffuse your light wen dirty.

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

My thoughts exactly, you will only need to top off with fresh water. A little salt creep won't effect your salinity.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back