To drill or not

johnoakthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aquiring a reef ready 150 gallon with an overflow tower already installed and bottom back outlet holes drilled already. I am buying this tank for 50$ because the owner can't figure out how to use the system and just wants it gone.

So I have money to play with here.

I'm curious, would you keep it as is with the Herbie configuration or would you plug those holes, remove the tower and put a ghost style top hole overflow system in the bean animal format?

Next question is about flow rates. Ok I'm thinking of doing a 1" system. Will that flow rate of 2440 be enough for a 150? I've never owned anything this big and I'm intimidated slightly. I plan to have a 55 gallon sump I'm putting together.

Pump, I'm thinking of going with an ecotech DC pump that has a flow rate exceeding the overflow capacity.

Any help would be awesome!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for 1" pipe, you don't need super high flow through the sump. I've commonly seen recommendations for around 3-5X turnover through the sump (so somewhere around 150 * 3 = 450 to 150 * 5 = 750 gallons per hour).
Then you use power heads to get more flow in the display.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like those internal towers and I've drilled tanks before, so I would remove it and install something like a modular marine overflow. You could plug the bottom bulkheads or even use them for closed loop. Depends on how much you like to DIY.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back