to float or not to float

  • Thread starter Thread starter butts182
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
98
Location
Juno Beach, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on shipping some corals to NY this comng week and was wondering what perople think is best, float frags upside down with a styrofoam block or not? i will be shipping the frags in a small 4oz plastic jar. thanks in advance...any other tricks i should know?
 
I have seen scruples shipped this way and it seemed to work really well. Good luck regardless!
 
really depends on the coral, but in short its always a good thing (minimizing contact with bag walls which in turn reduces mucous which in turn extends transit time while reducing rates of morbidity and mortality. That said, some corals are hardy enough not to need it and large shipments or short transits don't warrant the extra time and extra effort.

As a consumer, I'd pay extra to have all shipped that way.
 
Hahaha scruples??? Stupid iPhone autocorrection, I meant acropora. Sorry about that!
 
I plan on shipping some corals to NY this comng week and was wondering what perople think is best, float frags upside down with a styrofoam block or not? i will be shipping the frags in a small 4oz plastic jar. thanks in advance...any other tricks i should know?

Best shipment I ever got was ProCorals, and that's how they ship all their stonies. That said, for things like zoa's and small chalices, if they're on a flat plug, just superglue them to the bottom of the container. Works pretty well for me usually.
 
Best shipment I ever got was ProCorals, and that's how they ship all their stonies. That said, for things like zoa's and small chalices, if they're on a flat plug, just superglue them to the bottom of the container. Works pretty well for me usually.

truly excellent! +1

Gotta agree this sounds like a really good way to ship them. Reducing how much they move around it definitely key!
 
I shipped mine in the plastic containers and put the frags inside a plastic bag... Guess I shouldn't have after reading above but I didt have problems and everything made it fine...
 
i just make sure theres no air voids in the bag and have not had any problems at all. i do like the glue idea but i have a theoryt that uncured cyanocryolate can cause irritation and then inturn stress the corals
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new