To moonlight or not to moonlight?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral spawning is directly correlated with moon phase. There is extensive literature detailing this.

In terms of the Apex moonlights being too bright/wrong color, for the coral spawning systems run by Dr. Jamie Craggs, they replaced the blue led diodes with Warm Whites and then put a ping pong ball over the light as a diffuser/lux limiter.

OpieHssn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 50g I run a really faint moonlight from about 4:30am until 7am when the lights start to ramp up, then again from 6pm until about 10:30pm. The lights are low enough that all the night life comes out and the fish go to bed but lets me enjoy the tank a bit more during my waking hours. I have a pair of AI Prime 16s which have a more natural white moonlight. Since the moonlight is for me I don't activate the lunar phase option.

My 10g nano is a different case. I have a yasha goby that seems to panic in full darkness so moonlights on all night. Corals don't seem to mind so far so if my fish needs a nightlight she gets a nightlight! The light on this tank is a Spectra Aqua Knight V2 so no dedicated moonlight, I just put the blue on low.
How low do u put blue on? blue only or both with violet? Been using the same product and try to make moonlight, but 1% of blue only is still too bright.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low do u put blue on? blue only or both with violet? Been using the same product and try to make moonlight, but 1% of blue only is still too bright.

I have just blue at 5%. Corals and inhabitants all seem to go through night type behaviors at this intensity so I haven't tried it any lower.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back