To much back pressure on mj600

Ryan winder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently bought a cobalt mj600 and a tlf 150 reactor. Whenever I dial down the flow rate to make the gfo lightly tumble it puts a ton of back pressure on the mj600 and causes it to rattle pretty loudly. Is this the nature of the beast or can I relieve pressure and quiet down the pump somehow?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MJ's aren't the quietest pumps out there, but a rattle is not normal. Is the bottom part of the pump seated properly? If the impeller is rattling around, something is definitely up

OP
OP
Ryan winder

Ryan winder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only rattles when I use the ball valve to dial down the flow rate. If I open it up completely it’s totally silent but then I have a gfo tornado in my reactor

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could potentially use a "tee" and another ball valve, but a 600 shouldn't be excessive flow IMO.

OP
OP
Ryan winder

Ryan winder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m just being ignorant but I thought a slight rumbling on the top surface of the gfo was sufficient movement. If I open it up and get 160 gph it’s a total whirlwind of gfo media inside the reactor. That’s not to much?

OP
OP
Ryan winder

Ryan winder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it’s because I’m using such a small amount of gfo that’s why it’s tumbling so vigorously with such a little amount of flow. I’m using 30 grams and it’s about an inch up the reactor chamber. The Tlf user guide says a minimum of 2 inches. Should I try doubling up on the gfo? Will that do any harm to my tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back