To screen or not to screen!

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My existing display tank was a gift and it did not come with a screen. I kept reading how it was an important feature to have to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank. The previous owner never had a screen and after searching for one I realized why. It is a corner tank and outside of an expensive custom one they are not available. After the initial cycle I started with some green chromis to get things going. After about a week while I was at work,, my wife sends me a picture of a fish on the floor. That's when I knew I needed to come up with something quick. I made a temporary screen while I brainstormed on how to make something that looked and fit nicely. I did eventually come up with an idea and made one that can be applied to almost any tank. You can view the process on my build thread. If you don't have a screen, don't wait until you find a fish on the floor. Although I don't like losing any fish, I was just glad it wasn't a high dollar one.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!

High Five.jpg

How about some info on how you built it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You work at a plastic shop or you found one and had them make you the parts? I'm wondering what the cost to have the plastic fabricated was.

OP
OP
JR Bodyman

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a local plastic shop. With the screen my total investment was just over 100 dollars. Still a little pricey but less expensive than a premium fish. Also, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and things tend to be more expensive around here.

OP
OP
JR Bodyman

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to my DYI screen build

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 70.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back