Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I bought 4 feet by 2 feet tank from waterbox and at this point ready. I need some help in deciding "to start or to wait".

Since I am starting with dry rock (carib sea liferock) and bare bottom I wanted to start the cycling process. I know it will take some time to stabilitize as I am in no rush. However, I do have long trip for 35 days during holidays. So I am left with following options.

If I do connect the system would what should be my constant source of Ammonia ? I will add benifical bacetria to kick start the nitrogen cycle (Biospiral).

At this point should I connect my protein skimmer or run it open so that it adds oxygen but does not skim out good bacteria.

- Start the tank when I am back in Jan 2020
- Start the tank and dont connect the overflow. Bascially, top section only with auto top off connected. I can move my marine pure (bio media) in the display area along with liferock.
- Plumb the whole system and don't worry about it.

Please note that I can ask my friend to top off Auto Top of reservious but beyond that they are noob (And don't want to take a chance with skimmer and water changes)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liferock is painted with coralline and becomes cycled in two weeks only adding water. no other items required, set it up and let it circulate before your vacation you'll return to a cycled tank, no tests no bottle bac no dosers needed. not anything you do regarding skimmer or sump arrangements will matter in the cycling process, set them up or not won't matter. liferock+saltwater+two weeks time= a tank that can pass an ammonia oxidation test ran/proof of cycling done.

OP
OP
shahprincea

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liferock is painted with coralline and becomes cycled in two weeks only adding water. no other items required, set it up and let it circulate before your vacation you'll return to a cycled tank, no tests no bottle bac no dosers needed. not anything you do regarding skimmer or sump arrangements will matter in the cycling process, set them up or not won't matter. liferock+saltwater+two weeks time= a tank that can pass an ammonia oxidation test ran/proof of cycling done.
Thank you I read about the coating but was not sure though it was marketing gimik. But now that you testify I will take that route. During the two weeks cycle did you add any amonia source at all ?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to how liferock cycles, but staring at a cycling tank and binging youtube videos on beautiful fish and corals is reefer hell. If your friend can manage to drop in a few flakes or pellets while topping off your water, you should be in great shape to actually get started. Most say skimmer on or off doesn't matter.

If you can count on your friend, I'd plumb it and run the return pump. Let the bacteria colonize your plumbing and sump as well. If not 100% reliable, I'd not run the sump and return pump bc it could run dry and burn out.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no ammonia is needed, they're painted ready per the co thread / all set

in our microbiology of cycling thread, we have a few liferock cycles collected they're all 12 days n done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shahprincea

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no ammonia is needed, they're painted ready per the co thread / all set

in our microbiology of cycling thread, we have a few liferock cycles collected they're all 12 days n done.
Which test kit do you guys recommend for long success of reef keping

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey check this out :)

api marine master test kits are ok to use.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start the entire system and not add livestock. Let it keep cycling until back from your trip.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back