To use or not to use (tank bow)

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to upgrade my 17gl frag and found a used tank with stand/canopy. When I seen it I thought the stand and canopy was hideous but it has potential with some wood filler and a couple rounds of paint. Tank had a slight bow and had been empty for a couple weeks.

So I picked it up and brought it home, filled with water to do a leak test and noticed it bows 1/2" on the front and a maybe 3/8" on back. Tank is not leveled to start with but here are pics... opinions pls.

Tyvm!

20171015_092534.jpg

20171015_092708.jpg

20171015_092838.jpg

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of acrylic tanks get manufactured with a little bit too thin of acrylic for my personal comfort. I've seen a LOT of acrylic tanks with that kind of bowing and no immediate issues. I would be wary of any crazing or fine cracking lines where it's bowing though and wouldn't use it if I saw any.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thx and good point.
Seams look fine, no cracks, bubbling or signs of possible leak.
This fixer upper should take 1-2 months as I plan to diy an overflow, herbie plumbing and restore stand/canopy. I think this will give me a better idea on strength.

I just needed to know if it's worth the time based on the initial bow. Sounds like I'll start this journey... tyvm

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many an acrylic tank and the only ones that bow like that are store bought ones.

I would give you this guideline.. if its taller than 24" and isn't made of at least 1/2" I wouldn't trust it..

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would invest any more money and time into something that bows that much. That's mainly a personal preference of mine, but I would much rather have something sturdier and engineered to withstand the weight of the water it is meant to hold without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the main panel. If that tank blows out the front panel it will cost a whole lot more in damages than it would to get something sturdier now. I know that's a risk with all tanks, but that amount of give in the main panel of the tank makes me uneasy.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think I would invest any more money and time into something that bows that much. That's mainly a personal preference of mine, but I would much rather have something sturdier and engineered to withstand the weight of the water it is meant to hold without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the main panel. If that tank blows out the front panel it will cost a whole lot more in damages than it would to get something sturdier now. I know that's a risk with all tanks, but that amount of give in the main panel of the tank makes me uneasy.

Yes I agree. I am looking into www.glasscages.com

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’ll be fine structurally, but that much bowing will cause distortion. Would work in a pinch if you needed though.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking at glasscages be wary of the acrylic thickness there too. Some of their prebuilt ready to sell tanks are going to have the same issue. Acrylic is 10x stronger than glass and its ability to flex with stress is a huge factor in that.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're looking at glasscages be wary of the acrylic thickness there too. Some of their prebuilt ready to sell tanks are going to have the same issue. Acrylic is 10x stronger than glass and its ability to flex with stress is a huge factor in that.

I was actually looking at their glass tanks not acrylic. I know Petco is having their 1.00 per gallon sale but I just have many doubts of their build quality.

Doing some reading I seen many people recommend www.glasscages.com for their glass tanks.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy uses them for his aquaculture tanks and has been nothing short of thrilled with them.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truvu has been making tanks as long as I can remember and I've never seen any complaints of failing tanks. Most of the commonly available acrylics tanks will do the same, I wouldn't worry too much about it if the seems are in good shape. Could always contact them directly and ask them how much bowing is too much.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Truvu has been making tanks as long as I can remember and I've never seen any complaints of failing tanks. Most of the commonly available acrylics tanks will do the same, I wouldn't worry too much about it if the seems are in good shape. Could always contact them directly and ask them how much bowing is too much.

I did not think of that, I'm on it! :)

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the glass tank correct?

Correct.

And I’ll also echo the other comment about truvu. They are based in Hayward and I’m in Santa Rosa, about a 75 min drive from there. Literally almost every acrylic tank in the sf Bay Area is a truvu and I’ve never ONCE heard of one failing.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emailed Truvu, will update when they respond.

I did receive a reply from glasscages and a 150.00 tank has a 240.00 shipping fee. I don't see the need to pay that much on shipping when LA seems to have a lot of tanks for sale. It sucks their trucks don't come out to LA anymore.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emailed Truvu, will update when they respond.

I did receive a reply from glasscages and a 150.00 tank has a 240.00 shipping fee. I don't see the need to pay that much on shipping when LA seems to have a lot of tanks for sale. It sucks their trucks don't come out to LA anymore.

Are you in California?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out crystal dynamics aquariums. They used to be LeeMar and are made right in your backyard.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back