To Vibrant or Not to Vibrant

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always interested to hear people's results with Vibrant. I have a 20g nano and never had an algae issue for the first 6 months of starting the tank but then I was keeping caulerpa prolifera in the display. It grew like crazy and I eventually got tired of trimming it so I removed it. Algae followed. Since then I went through a Vibrant cycle that worked, but triggered cyano. I took care of that eventually with chemiclean. The algae came back a few weeks after that. It seems obvious now that I wasn't exporting enough waste during that treatment. Lighting is an AI Prime set to approximate the Ecotech AB+ spectrum and has about a 10 hour photoperiod, and my alk/Ca/Mg all in the right ranges, but I wasn't monitoring NO3 and PO4. I since have acquired a PO4 ULR checker.

I made a bunch of filter socks and now change them out every 2 days and recently added an airline skimmer which is working (for curiosity I tested ammonia in the skimmate and never have seen such an intense green color before).

Careful feeding using quality food, keeping PO4 at 0.04-0.5 (occasional dosing of Phosphat-E) and weekly 20% water changes have it receding, but it's very slow.... so every now and then I ponder trying Vibrant again. The inhabitants are doing great, there is coraline growing all over the back of the display (and my powerhead which is annoying)...if I could just get that hair algae gone...

Please keep us updated on your progress!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I hear you. I will def keep this topic posted. Im using a VERY conservative approach to this. I have a 65...dosing it as 60G at half dose...0.5 mL/10 G...so 3mL and plan on dosing every 2 weeks.

Prior to dosing my parameters were:

Nitrate 10
Phos 0.02
Alk 8.9
SG 1.025
Ammonia 0
Temp 77.8

I did a major manual removal of the turf algae and the algae on my powerhead/heater etc prior to dosing.

I dont really have a completely dirty tank...I just find i am having to constantly remove turf hair algae every water change. I was really hesitant to use this product as I have researched the pros and cons for a few weeks and tried various attempts to control...

So although its not completely out of control...I want some other "ammo" to help me do less invasive removal.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back