To Vibrant or Not to Vibrant

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vibrant will make short work of that algae. If it was my tank, I would only dose .5 ml (1/2 ml)total per every two weeks so you don’t abruptly tank nutrients. Your algae problem is very minor. If it still lingers after a few weeks, then up it to 1ml total. Slow and steady wins the race imo.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...i did do a manual removal of some when it first started out. This only made it grow out again. My plan is to literally take the sand bed and suction out the bits I rake...the rock work will be tricky...so hopefully I can manually remove with suction as well...i think the algae is just way too long for the snails...i have an astrea a turbo and a few others...as well as a few hermits....snails don't really last long...for whatever reason...its either they get eaten by falling upside down or a hermit murders it.
Yes, the snails do not like the long stuff. If you manually remove and you have enough of them, they can keep up with it usually.

Maybe try some trochus snails. I know they are more expensive, but they can right themselves and may even have babies in your tank. Mine have made a whole batch of little ones for me.

I saw some reefers used eyebrow brushes to catch the long hair algae and remove it from the rocks. That may be a trick to use.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant will make short work of that algae. If it was my tank, I would only dose .5 ml total per every two weeks so you don’t abruptly tank nutrients. Your algae problem is very minor. If it still lingers after a few weeks, then up it to 1ml total. Slow and steady wins the race imo.
Smart!! Yeah...i read ppl blow their nutrients

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on dose #3 - going with the "dirty tank", plus the suggestion in the BRS videos about 2x a week, so my dose is 10ml every 5 days for my 105 (net) gal tank. Plus, as much manual removal as I can. Bubble algae is the WORST, plus some other fuzzy algae that's threatening my corals. So far, I think it's working though interestingly enough, BRS Ryan said theirs turned silver when it died. Mine's black, so hopefully it's not doing anything horrifying. I also dose BioDigest (other bacteria) so that may be contributing to the color of death, I don't know. My skimmer has an attack from the bacteria(s), but other than that, I don't have any issues with my sock filter or anything (I change that daily anyway). I have a pretty solid CUC, including a tiger conch, several kinds of snails, and a black long spine urchin.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeee...oh and those disposable things you recommended SMART!!! LOL. K I think I got my game plan!! Thanks
Yeah the spoolies are actually eyebrow/eyelash brushes for makeup. Amazon probably thinks I’m a beauty queen because I order so many of these!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the HELP!

GOT A GAME PLAN NOW. Vibrant will be my ammunition if all else fails!!

1. Blow of rock with turkey baster.
2. Do my rocks "eyebrows" with those eyebrow thingies lol
3. Rake the sand bed
4. Remove raked gunk
5. Vaccum sand bed.
6. Water change.
7. Add more snails
8. Take out guns (vibrant) if needed

Thanks everyone!!

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Smart!! Yeah...i read ppl blow their nutrients

yes, your lps will be the first to react(get ticked) using Vibrant. using a half ml every two weeks to keep my tank pristine and my lps don’t show any negative reactions. When I was using 2 ml a week, my lps shrunk quite a bit, but algae was knocked out and sps went crazy on growth.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, your lps will be the first to react(get ticked) using Vibrant. using a half ml every two weeks to keep my tank pristine and my lps don’t show any negative reactions. When I was using 2 ml a week, my lps shrunk quite a bit, but algae was knocked out and sps went crazy on growth.
Yeah I'd prolly start low if I did start dosing.

Vasilios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is good on bubble algae. I use it when I see alittle cluster and in aBout 3-5 weeks it’s gone. The vibrant breaks down the bubbles. They become opaque then dissolve away

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this is all claim by manufacturer, without any bacterial strains listed. I also had 0.5% vinegar and 3.5% “Other ingredients”.
We really have no clue what is in it.

I thought I read that it was Bacillus Licheniformis, but now I can't find that so I might be misremembering....

I know other, similar bacteria based algae treatments use that species

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Its amazing what a little raking and vacuuming will do. I bought a few trochus snails as well. Day 2 and little new algae growth. Nitrates are down to 5 from 10 and phos still 0 tho. I'll get a better pic with the whites on in the morning. Gonna pick some GHA off the rocks next water change with those eye lash comb things that someone suggested. Like I originally said, vibrant will be my machine gun when and if needed. So far I'm happy with the results.
20200923_225037.jpg
20200923_225028.jpg
20200923_224956.jpg

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try microbacter i dosent disturb anything in the tank, I m having ok results with it but use it with imagitarium algea reducer and an an ammonia and nitrate pad for the algea breakdown, two to three weeks later its gone.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try microbacter i dosent disturb anything in the tank, I m having ok results with it but use it with imagitarium algea reducer and an an ammonia and nitrate pad for the algea breakdown, two to three weeks later its gone.
Hey. So far with some maintaince im getting good results. Too late for removing the algae part. My CUC doesn't eat the algae when the hair is the length of some Disney princess. Will see how this goes.

Scp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue in one of my tanks I changed the intensity as duration of my lights , added a UV sterilizer, reduced feedings, weekly water changes, slight reduced temp ..... now the tank is nearly perfect! I hate adding any chemicals to my tank and will do everything possible to avoid it. I’ve heard both good and bad about that product. We had Bubble algae that could be a different story that’s a pain in the butt.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back