Toadstool coral care

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I am getting a tiny frag of green toadstool leather Thursday. How do I care for this coral? Will it be harmful to my Zoa, candy canes, blasto, or hammer coral? Am I supposed to run carbon? Sorry about all the questions new to leathers in general.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are easy and in my experience not aggressive towards other corals. I have about a dozen different species (including toadstool) and they seem to do well in dirty tanks and clean tanks, carbon or no carbon. Mine do best in moderate and high flow areas, lower to moderate light.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are easy and in my experience not aggressive towards other corals. I have about a dozen different species (including toadstool) and they seem to do well in dirty tanks and clean tanks, carbon or no carbon. Mine do best in moderate and high flow areas, lower to moderate light.
Hey Reefer, I got the toadstool and added carbon. My LPS immediately acted strange and have been looking like crap. Would that be connected to the carbon or the toadstool? I’ll toss it in a different tank if it’s going to hurt my LPS

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but do you normally run carbon? Could be the extra light from making your water clearer if not. Or did you change anything else recently? I could maybe see some chemical warfare if it was the corals right next to the toadstool but definitely the whole tank. But like I said, in my experience leathers are generally pretty peaceful coral. And can typically resist a lot of other corals irritation. Not to say they are bullet proof by any means. Are your parameters trending normal for your tank?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but do you normally run carbon? Could be the extra light from making your water clearer if not. Or did you change anything else recently? I could maybe see some chemical warfare if it was the corals right next to the toadstool but definitely the whole tank. But like I said, in my experience leathers are generally pretty peaceful coral. And can typically resist a lot of other corals irritation. Not to say they are bullet proof by any means. Are your parameters trending normal for your tank?
Yeah they’re doing fine (normal parameters). I haven’t changed anything except the addition of the leather and some pulsing Xenia on Thursday. So would removing the carbon be ok? Nothing is close to the leather but zoa and zoa explode in my tank so no worries there

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool in my 10 gallon with a torch and duncan, who I believe are unbothered by it? I do run carbon 24/7 tho - especially when it sheds. It’s a lot happier when it gets flow. I don’t think mine prefers light in either direction, low to high.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’re doing fine (normal parameters). I haven’t changed anything except the addition of the leather and some pulsing Xenia on Thursday. So would removing the carbon be ok? Nothing is close to the leather but zoa and zoa explode in my tank so no worries there
Yeah I’d pull the carbon. Maybe you’re running super dirty and the carbon made too much of a change too fast. It’s been known to happen especially if you haven’t been running carbon for a long time or ever. If you use too much or a high efficiency carbon like ROX from BRS it can happen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back