Toadstool Corals splitting

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Toadstool coral for a few years now and with in the last 6 months it has split into 5 separate pieces. They are moving off the rock that the original piece was attached to and they are also dropping small buds on the rocks. Is this normal for the Toadstool corals to split like this? And do I need to worry about them continuing to split and starting to crowd other corals?
Toadstool.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with Sarcophyton is they release toxins known as Terpenes. It's a form of chemical warfare/Allelopathy. Change out charcoal in a timely manner and effectively skim. If you notice a decline in stony corals you should consider removing some of the larger stalks.

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahoe61, its funny that you mention the toxins. The best way to describe this is like someone flipped a switch and the Toadstool started to split and continue to split at a really quick. Come to think of it my stony corals have not doing very well and I have lost 2 of my larger Blue Acroporas during this same 6 month time? I am running charcoal and skimming the tank but I think I am going to take your advise and remove them to see if that helps my sontys. Unfortunately I will have to find my clown fish a new host. Thanks for the advise!

Jaime.Moxey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Toadstool coral for a few years now and with in the last 6 months it has split into 5 separate pieces. They are moving off the rock that the original piece was attached to and they are also dropping small buds on the rocks. Is this normal for the Toadstool corals to split like this? And do I need to worry about them continuing to split and starting to crowd other corals?
Toadstool.jpg
Do you still have this coral and do you have any frags for sale?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back