Toadstool leather fragging in display?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefer024
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefer024

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2020
Messages
267
Reaction score
279
Location
Phoenix
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ok to frag my toadstool leather coral right in display tank? Would be a pain to remove, to do this. What are your thoughts?

16056639695507381428700497663672.jpg
 
No problem at all. I cut those things up all the time in the display. I turn off water flow and irritate the coral so it retracts polys and shrinks down a bit. Afterwards I also try to siphon out a gallon or so of water directly around the coral because they expel something when you cut into em.

All that extra work is probably just more of my OCD and not necessary. I'm sure you will be fine just having at it as is and doing nothing else.
 
I appreciate it, I think I'll give it a shot and just do one larger cut then cut that piece into smaller ones. Hopefully by doing this it'll be less stressful on the system.
 
No problem at all. I cut those things up all the time in the display. I turn off water flow and irritate the coral so it retracts polys and shrinks down a bit. Afterwards I also try to siphon out a gallon or so of water directly around the coral because they expel something when you cut into em.

All that extra work is probably just more of my OCD and not necessary. I'm sure you will be fine just having at it as is and doing nothing else.
Internal marineland canister for 24-48 post cutting as well as in sump.
 
Just make sure, as stated above, to run some carbon and do a water change to help get the yuck out. Good luck!
 
I let mine split naturally so that it heals in a normal shape and reduce any toxins that would otherwise be released.
 
I let mine split naturally so that it heals in a normal shape and reduce any toxins that would otherwise be released.

I wish I had that kind of patience. The wait is absolutely brutal especially when they start to swirl up and hang on by a thread.

i’ve cut hundreds of frags of misshapen rectangular, triangular, and many other shapes I can’t begin to name. they all end up the exact same circular shaped adult after a while.
 
Last edited:
How big did it get before it slit?
I have 5 but multiple tanks
One is 4” round, 1 is 5”, 1@8”, 1@10” and one at 6.5”
 
How big did it get before it slit?

In my tank if they are in the right area for flow, lighting and food then they will get very large and never split. If they are not completely satisfied then they can start to split and drop offspring when they are still fairly small. I had one start to drop babies at maybe 3'' when it was in a very shaded area with low flow. I gave one away a few years that was easily 8'' and had never split in the maybe 5 or 6 years I had it.
 
Mine devils hand is about 12 across and its just starting to split. Good flow good light and its dropping 3-4 inch babies.
 
I let mine split naturally so that it heals in a normal shape and reduce any toxins that would otherwise be released.
Agreed! Let it grow a little bigger and that thing will split like crazy! I have gotten dozens of frags from mine naturally splitting!
 
My toadstool doesnt really have a stalk, it lays on the rock.
It has now gottem so big its drooping over the side of the rock into a goni. So I am gonna have to cut it.
Thanks for the answers on cutting in tank, as I was concerned about this

Btw, its about 10" across and has ndver naturally fragged for me.
 

Attachments

  • 20201204_113856.jpg
    20201204_113856.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 107

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new