Toadstool shedding?

Knightreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this toadstool frag for a few weeks now. I noticed this morning these filament like stuff at the base. At first thought might be aptaisia, but it is more of a white and didn't react when touched. Is this thing shedding or worse? It was open a few days ago, but has been closed for a few days now (not unsual).

20200703_104944.jpg 20200703_105011.jpg

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does not retract, then try to brush it off with a soft brush or use a turkey baster to blow it off. These shrooms go through shedding every few weeks but open up right after.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal. If you have hermits or over inverts they also like to pick at the shedded shroom skin. They could have caused some kind of irritation. Thought I caught my emerald one night munching on the shroom but upon closer inspection it was picking the algae and shedded skin off the toadstool.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like shedding to me, more of a tentacle looking. Mine sheds, but it actually looks like smoke signals in my aquarium, then flies off

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have that waxy look that they get prior to shedding. Keep it good flow. As far as the white stuff goes, sponge maybe?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarcophytons are totally underrated. Reefing "civilians" are always fascinated by them, never commenting at all on the nearby expensive SPS.
I love my giant toadstool

OP
OP
Knightreef

Knightreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal. If you have hermits or over inverts they also like to pick at the shedded shroom skin. They could have caused some kind of irritation. Thought I caught my emerald one night munching on the shroom but upon closer inspection it was picking the algae and shedded skin off the toadstool.
Now that you mention it, I did notice a few of my hermits gathered around it yesterday

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back