Toby puffers

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty established 300g tank with a snowflake and blue ribbon eel, tangs, angels, niger trigger, harlequin tusk. Thinking of adding a small puffer (or 2) like a mimic saddle back and valentini. If I add 2 puffers they would go in together. Thoughts of 2 in a 300g tank and also thoughts of them along with the eel - am I asking for trouble or should they co-exist?

Thanks

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a valentini and it's mimic together in a much smaller tank and they were fine. Not kept them with eels or a tuskfish so can't comment on their compatibility but hopefully someone else can.

I'm guessing you don't have any cuc, as both these fish will eat them. They can also be nippy towards corals if you have any but are well worth adding.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you don't have any cuc, as both these fish will eat them. They can also be nippy towards corals
Had to re-home my Blue Spot. Destroyed half of my corals without advanced notice LOL :rolleyes: :eek:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi a mimic saddle puffer is actually a filefish. Paraluterus prionurus.
It is nature’s mimic for the true puffer, the Valentini puffer (Canthigaster Valentini). In the ocean the filefish will even swim with the Valentini. Predators leave the filefish alone because it appears to be a Valentini.
I have a 300 gal, I personally would add 1 Toby puffer (not 2) if you decide to get one. They can nip corals. CUC is hit or miss. My old Bluespot puffer are only shrimp. My current Valentini leaves shrimp & snails alone. But he is a baby so when he gets old I expect him to munch on snails, because he loves thawed clam on the halfshell I give him to keep his beak whittled down.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back