Today has been unbearable for my new critters

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, got my new aquarium critters today, 2x clown, cleaner shrimp, 8 X hermit crab, only orders 5 but think they had no blue legged so I they componsated ( I think) 8x snails, again in pack only ordered 5 X, very generous I guess.
However main comment TODAY has been phenomenaly hot, like never seen 35 on my car dash ever, house temp has been around 29celsius,81f very hot for UK.

My aquarium has had a temperature of 81f from 10 o'clock this morning, my new critters came (delivered) 12 :45) I have tried all day to get temperature below to average 26c but no avail.

They seem fine but hermit crabs and snails are not moving, I can see hermits/ larger faces but the more smaller have hidden, some snails buried themselves and some are just non movers, I'm going to create a build thread but has anyone else struggled with this in the UK today (8/11/21) thanks
i am going to be on night watch tonight to ensure temp is ok through the night and tomorrow

Attachments

• VID20210908210638.mp4
    34.8 MB
  • VID20210908210533.mp4
    27.1 MB

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tank being 81F is a big deal. Being in a delivery truck in the 90's could have been a problem depending on the packaging. When I got my CUC in everything that survived took off within 2-3 hours. But I specifically remember none of my large Cerith snails made it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be too concerned.
Its the low temps below 65 that kill.

"Corals can tolerate 73-84 degrees routinely.
Some can tolerate up to 104 degrees for short periods."

From a NOAA.GOV site.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, got my new aquarium critters today, 2x clown, cleaner shrimp, 8 X hermit crab, only orders 5 but think they had no blue legged so I they componsated ( I think) 8x snails, again in pack only ordered 5 X, very generous I guess.
However main comment TODAY has been phenomenaly hot, like never seen 35 on my car dash ever, house temp has been around 29celsius,81f very hot for UK.

My aquarium has had a temperature of 81f from 10 o'clock this morning, my new critters came (delivered) 12 :45) I have tried all day to get temperature below to average 26c but no avail.

They seem fine but hermit crabs and snails are not moving, I can see hermits/ larger faces but the more smaller have hidden, some snails buried themselves and some are just non movers, I'm going to create a build thread but has anyone else struggled with this in the UK today (8/11/21) thanks
i am going to be on night watch tonight to ensure temp is ok through the night and tomorrow
They seem fine and just looking around, thank you all, we always worry when new but after they settle then we settle

Attachments

• VID20210908214919.mp4
    23 MB
  • VID20210908214711.mp4
    83.8 MB
  • IMG20210908214348.jpg
    IMG20210908214348.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 26

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the last heatwave I have bought some fans on AliExpress. This week I have put them in test. Kept the temp at 25c all day.

OP
OP
Rick's Reviews

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not normal in uk to have this kind of temperature, thank you attiland.
During the last heatwave I have bought some fans on AliExpress. This week I have put them in test. Kept the temp at 25c all day.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank once got 92-93 when AC broke and I had no loss of fish or inverts. I lost most acro and only a few LPS and no soft corals. Fish did not seem to notice. Was surprised.

Robinski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice in a zip lock bag in the sump may help if AC brakes in the future. Used to do this with my turtle in South Australia (no AC and days over 40 degrees C.) Also, reduce air stone as that air transfers heat.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also in uk and about 1 month ago we had heatwave and i bought some fans to clip on and had like 8 x 2 litre bottles of pop which i froze and rotated them every few hours but im in lanzorote at momemt and mother in law going house from 8pm - 7 am and feeding at 7 am and niece going at 3-5 pm and feeding so that reminds me ( as didnt even think to check temperature whilst im on holiday pffft) i need to see if possible my mother in law can put fans back on tank for me at least and now im worried for my tank lol and my 5 gallon ato will it be enough as only like 4 gallons in it as filled it to top and it higher than sump water so started siphoning out ( by gravity fed) so will need get mother in law to send me picture of level as ive 5 days left holiday and it tricky filling my ato up with funnel and electrics next to container lol.
Aw well im powerless but will need to try plan this into next holiday and hope everything goes well with my tank while away and ripple effect doesn't come into play with one thing dying then starts cascade of death lol

But as for you,you can rotate frozen bottles of water,get a fan or cause more surface agitation so cause surface evaporation so cools it this way

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ato reservoir is half empty after 3rd day of 7th day holiday so extra heat in england made more evaporation and one thermoter reading 28 c which is 82 and one reading 29 c which is 84 f i believe so tank running hot and this is at 8.30 at night and my t5 lights ( which i know give off a alot heat) come on 6.30 am and go off 6.30 pm and wanted to cut lights down to a 8 hour photo period but also wanted fish fed around 5pm after niece finished college and couldnt habe both so hopefully my tank survives these hot temps for next 4 days.even asking my mother in law to take picture of tank is a big ask as mrs family quite weird lol but she staying at our house every night with our dog and feeding fish in morning before then going to take her 2 dogs out and going to work so grateful for this as big help and will have to ask neighbour if he can fill ato up with funnel and hopefully doesnt splash water on electrics behind it as be big mess then but easier than getting him to unplug and move plugs around and stuff.
So anyone reading this,make sure in advance ( not day before go holiday ) plan properly for possible stuff that could happen as i should of added fans to tank so could just be plugged in but didnt so you know ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-225437_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-225437_WhatsApp.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210909-225453_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-225453_WhatsApp.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210909-225524_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-225524_WhatsApp.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 19

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ato reservoir is half empty after 3rd day of 7th day holiday so extra heat in england made more evaporation and one thermoter reading 28 c which is 82 and one reading 29 c which is 84 f i believe so tank running hot and this is at 8.30 at night and my t5 lights ( which i know give off a alot heat) come on 6.30 am and go off 6.30 pm and wanted to cut lights down to a 8 hour photo period but also wanted fish fed around 5pm after niece finished college and couldnt habe both so hopefully my tank survives these hot temps for next 4 days.even asking my mother in law to take picture of tank is a big ask as mrs family quite weird lol but she staying at our house every night with our dog and feeding fish in morning before then going to take her 2 dogs out and going to work so grateful for this as big help and will have to ask neighbour if he can fill ato up with funnel and hopefully doesnt splash water on electrics behind it as be big mess then but easier than getting him to unplug and move plugs around and stuff.
So anyone reading this,make sure in advance ( not day before go holiday ) plan properly for possible stuff that could happen as i should of added fans to tank so could just be plugged in but didnt so you know ^_^
Not sure where you are in England but in Leicester it is already cool and back to “normal “ humid and coldish or jus call it reef safe. Below 24c

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connection not great so wont let me insert quote,but im living in liverpool and them pictures is what mother in law sent me last night at 8 pm ish ( 1.5 hours after t5 lights went out) .
Im just hoping when i ask for 1 more photo from mother in law she sends me it.
I did arrange with neighbour if any dead fish or any problem my mother in law would message him but my mrs just informed me there no way at all her mum will message him or knock on his door to ask him even though arranged so going have to ask mother in law to give me number that i left for her and send me then i ring him ,even after 13 years with mrs i still not got used to how unacomadating and just generally unhelpful on most things they are as a family ( not all as she is looking after dog by sleeping at ours and feeding tank in morning) but i often think if she didn't habe 2 dogs that needed looking after on her holidays would she even look after our dog idk but probably not.im just used to my family helping anyone as much as they can and i often say " is that all or need me do anything else" as being nice is just nice but hey ho my fault for staying with mrs and having kid so only myself to blame ha ha .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back