Todd's IM Panorama 20g AIO Drop Off

toddb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 15 years since I kept a reef tank. In the late 90s and early 2000s I had a few nano and mid-sized tanks. I called it quits after a few years because those smaller tanks grew boring and always left me wanting something bigger. I was moving around a lot and renting, so it wasn't really a feasible option. Fast forward to today and I'm pretty well settled, so I decided to come back to reefing and build the kind of tank I had always wanted. I've got a deposit down with Reef Savvy for an ~200g beauty and I actually got called up the other day. Unfortunately, I had to ask to be moved back to the end of the line though. I was expecting to have a house remodel done by the time my spot in line was called, but Covid messed that up real good. Now I've got to wait some more because I don't want to risk drywall dust and the like getting in my tank :) In the meantime, I decided to stand up a small 20G office tank to scratch the itch and at least get some established rock for the big tank going. I expect I'll eventually turn this into a quarantine or frag tank.

So far I've built a simple little stand out of walnut plywood:

IMG_3711.jpg

I also set up a RO/Mixing station. Super overkill for this little 20G, but will use this for an AWC set-up for the eventual big tank. The tubing coming out of the wall is for that eventual purpose. I figured I'd just put it in while I had the wall opened up to install the laundry box. I used to lug 5g buckets of RO water from the LFS, so I'm super happy with how this turned out and think it will save me a lot of time.

IMG_4953.jpg

This week I'll be putting in the water, sand, and live rock. I ordered 25lbs from KP Aquatics air freighted in water. Hoping to get lots of life and a pretty minimal cycle! I used to love the real fiji rock, bummed you can't get that anymore.

Thanks for reading!

OP
OP
toddb

toddb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the airport to pick up the LR from KP Aquatics yesterday. ~25 lbs over 7 pieces. It was completely covered in water and had lots of life plus lots of corraline. Counted at least 5-10 shrimp, 3 small crabs, dozen of brittle stars, 2 sea urchins, worms, etc. I have a 6 year old daughter and her excitement finding all those critters as they came off the rock was so fun to watch. Most of those i discarded except for a few brittle stars. Spent a good chunk of the evening piecing together the aquascaping and am pretty happy with how it came out. Only wound up using about half the rock they sent me. Getting excited to add some fish.

DSC_2549.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 189 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back