Toes Go In First

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really never thought about keeping anything more than a betta until a few months ago when my daughter became obsessed with fish and there was a sale on a 60 gallon w/stand at Petsmart.

8 angels and 12 glofish tetras...

The first Petsmart angel died... followed by 6 other angels before I put cure all in and one, "Butthead", survived along with those mutant GMO glofish.

Today, it has 17 glofish, Butthead, 2 pearl gourami, 3 Roseline sharks, a pleco, and a fat and happy black ghost knife fish.

Saltwater bug came a callin'. Little did I know that a successful freshwater tank was just a gateway tank to the salty stuff!

My choice:
Fluval Evo 5
A 10 pound live rock
1 juvenile clown fish
1 fire shrimp
*free Brittle Starfish on the rock

Plans:
A zoa and maybe a torch/hammer
Testing equipment like an Apex to plan for a big tank in a year or so

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dont start with a "I have No problem killing things!" post

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way welcome to R2R. Apex systems are great for monitoring you system, and controlling pumps. For testing I would suggest getting good test kits if you have not already.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Yes, the salt bug does like to bite. As mentioned above I would get some good test kits and take it slow. I dont think anybody meant to give you a bad welcome, they just dont wanna see you blow any money or worse, fail and quit the hobby. We are a friendly community and really wanna help each other out. Can you post any pics of your set up and give us a system rundown? We love pics and tank specs! Good luck!

OP
OP
Bloody.Knuckles

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Yes, the salt bug does like to bite. As mentioned above I would get some good test kits and take it slow. I dont think anybody meant to give you a bad welcome, they just dont wanna see you blow any money or worse, fail and quit the hobby. We are a friendly community and really wanna help each other out. Can you post any pics of your set up and give us a system rundown? We love pics and tank specs! Good luck!

Thank you.

I may have missed where I said I have no problem killing things; I don't, but that's when I'm hunting.

I thought a "my journey" post with a hard lesson about buying fish from petsmart that had a disease/parasite that I wasn't able to cure the tank of until I had lost 7 of 8 angels might ingratiate myself into the R2R community. I left out details that may have led some to assume I got a 60 gallon tank and immediately threw in 20 fish with rainwater I collected in a kiddie pool... it was just a brief history of my time.

Fellow Scot, my setup is mostly in "my choice". Except the Eheim trutemp 25w heater, Caribsea Hawaiian black live sand, API saltwater master test kit, and red sea refractometer.

By "test" I meant test out how to setup and use an Apex... although, a Seneye would seem more appropriate for the tank size.

Still choosing a host for the pics, but my avatar is of my Fluval Evo

OP
OP
Bloody.Knuckles

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9tfhn6.jpg

Captain Kosher Stubing - Fire Shrimp

OP
OP
Bloody.Knuckles

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also see "Grossy Gross" the brittle Starfish who came with the rock and a broken limb which has since regenerated.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater bug came a callin'. Little did I know that a successful freshwater tank was just a gateway tank to the salty stuff!
Yep, TGIF then you're in up to your eyeballs. Snap, just like that!

It happened to me many decades ago and I'm still up to my eyeballs and lovin' it. Welcome to the hobby. You are in for a great ride. Enjoy some, learn some, enjoy more, learn more, rinse and repeat as often as you can.
fab

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! People here want to help. Saltwater is a lot more complicated than fresh, so advice to do a lot of research first is well-meaning and to keep you from getting discouraged and giving up.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
Bloody.Knuckles

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! People here want to help. Saltwater is a lot more complicated than fresh, so advice to do a lot of research first is well-meaning and to keep you from getting discouraged and giving up.

Yes, I started researching saltwater care the day I got the freshwater tank and knew it would be a while before I invested that much time and money into a hobby I wasn't sure if I would enjoy. A few months passed and I figured that a nano reef aquarium would be the litmus test whether or not I would enjoy saltwater or if I could even hack it. If this works, I've got plans for a Peninsula drop-off room divider that will surely get into the mid five figures and not easily ditched if you just got tired of the hobby. This is a 2 year viability test.
*I don't like calling it a pico, because that's haphazardly assigning SI nomenclature to things, IMHO.

Here is day one a few weeks back
mhx1u.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I started researching saltwater care the day I got the freshwater tank and knew it would be a while before I invested that much time and money into a hobby I wasn't sure if I would enjoy. A few months passed and I figured that a nano reef aquarium would be the litmus test whether or not I would enjoy saltwater or if I could even hack it. If this works, I've got plans for a Peninsula drop-off room divider that will surely get into the mid five figures and not easily ditched if you just got tired of the hobby. This is a 2 year viability test.
*I don't like calling it a pico, because that's haphazardly assigning SI nomenclature to things, IMHO.

Here is day one a few weeks back
mhx1u.jpg
That's great. I had freshwater tank first and started with a 12g nano saltwater. It sounds like you've done your homework! Let me know if you have any questions about setting up a nano!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back