Tomini tang & Zebra eel aggression.

daftbeni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Tangs being aggressive towards eels? I purchased a 16' Zebra eel two weeks ago for my 80g (48x24x17) and ever since the first day in the tank my tang is constantly beefing with him. He will swim into the cave the Eel likes to hang out in and just tail whip him for no reason!! He goes and does his tail whip 4-5x then he just swims away... then comes back sometime later to do it again. Even at night Tango will leave his favorite sleeping spot just to hit the eel a few times and then goes back to sleep. Is this normal? I would've thought fish would be a bit more intimidated of an eel.. and my tang is only like 4 inches. Anyone else experience something like this? any advice appreciated lol

sorry if I posted this in the wrong place

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't really normal from a tomini tang, a trigger or angel maybe. How is the eel doing, is he eating well. Fish know when others are sick or weakened and this not being normal, I would access the eel's health. What are you feeding and how often, and how do they respond to feeding.

Oh by the way, you don't have long keeping a zebra in an 80g if fed properly

OP
OP
D

daftbeni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't really normal from a tomini tang, a trigger or angel maybe. How is the eel doing, is he eating well. Fish know when others are sick or weakened and this not being normal, I would access the eel's health. What are you feeding and how often, and how do they respond to feeding.

Oh by the way, you don't have long keeping a zebra in an 80g if fed properly
The eel seems to be doing fine and is eating. The eel gets fed every 3 days and he gets a mix of shrimp, squid, clam. LFS told me to keep feeding them a mixed diet so that’s what I’ve been doing. Eel also responds to feeding well and lets me know he is hungry.

im aware the eel will outgrow my current DT but that’s okay as im always looking for a reason to upgrade my tank hahaha. Sometime next year I’ll have a 180g setup for him and the rest of the crew.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, just given it time and it should work itself out. Neither one would usually be a threat to other so I wouldn't worry about it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back