OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way ta go Tomoko - I wanted to see the water hit the glass!

Thanks, H@rry. Water is hitting a lot more than just the glass, though.

Looking good Tomoko. Did you try the fan before you mounted it? If it was quite before you mounted it, you may want to add some rubber grommets for vibration isolation. The fan vibrations may be transferring to the canopy which resonates and acts like an amplifier. Just a thought.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I did not try the fan before mounting it. I am afraid that it's the fan. It's a high pitch wine coming out the center of the fan. It's not real loud, but I can hear it.

Speaking of noise, I can hear water trickling down inside the right overflow box. It's not loud at all, but it sounds like a tiny creak running in my front room. I am afraid that I cut the standpipe a bit too short. The standpipe is so tight (it has a male adapter that screws into the bulkhead fitting) that I cannot take it out. Reilly tried to unscrew it, but it won't budge. I was holding the standpipe while Reilly was retightening the nut on the bulkhead inside the stand. We might have managed to overtighten the male adapter. I am thinking about installing a coupling below the Tee of my durso fitting. I hope this will fix the sound issue.

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the drain tube off of the fitting on the bottom of the bulkhead and take the nut off. Then you can take the standpipe, adaptor, and bulkhead out the top so you can work on it. That's the beauty of thread/thread bulkheads. If push comes to shove you can always take the whole thing out.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pack the overflow box with a sponge or even filter floss. (remember that ? LOL). to kinda form a muffler.

Or raise the height of the durso?

(somehow I got a feeling that Tomoko's quality means this is an extremely quiet running creek. One I would ignore with my slip shod workmanship. LOL )

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 has corals and fish now :). I will post some pictures this afternoon. I already got some pictures uploaded to my photobucket album.

I am sore all over right now from the hard work I put in on Wednesday when I moved the contents of my 120 to my new tank. Climbing up and down the steps hundreds of times carrying livestocks and live rocks was a lot of work. To make the matters worse, my right hands are sore from all the bristleworm stings and minor cuts. I am regretting that I took off my gloves here and there trying to remove unwanted stuff from live rocks. It was hard not to since I could not feel anything wearing the thick gloves. My right hand looks like I got stung by bees a bunch of times :(. I can still type all right with my sore hands, but I don't feel like doing much more than that at the moment.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Bob, you are so kind:

Well, I transfered my livestock from 120 to 180 on Wednesday.

I first transfered all the corals to containers that I borrowed from Harry:

180installation5010.jpg

180installation5011.jpg

180installation5012.jpg

Fish were left in the tank since they were hiding under rocks.

Then I started moving live rocks. I thought some of the rocks are too big for me to move it, but as they say, when there is a will, there is a way...

I stirred up the water in 120 so much by moving the rocks, I could not see anything, fish or remaining rocks. After moving all the rocks to the new tank, I realized that I did not have enough water to fill it up to the top despite the fact that I had the new tank filled to the 2/3 of the way. Although I kicked up some Southdown a bit during the move, the tank looked still clear enough. I wondered if I should wait and make more water or go ahead and fill the tank with the really cloudy water from 120. Well, I decided that I should not wait. In the hind sight, I should have drained some water from the new tank and aquascaped the rocks, but I was a bit in a hurry to move everything into the new tank. So this is what happened next:

180installation5014.jpg

I could not see anything but at least the tank was filled all the way. I considered waiting on moving the corals until water cleared, but I figured that the tank had a far better condition than the container that they were in did. So in they went.

A couple of hours later:

180installation5016.jpg

You can vaguely see corals laying around the bottom of the tank.

I could not see my huge Rose milli right underneath the surface of the water:

180installation5018.jpg

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan looks not too happy:

180installation5019.jpg

Zoanthids opened up rather fast:

180installation5021.jpg

By 8:30 at night, the tank looked considerably better:

180installation5024.jpg

The next morning the tank was already crystal clear:

180installation5025-1.jpg

As you can see, all my corals are dumped into the tank unceremoniously... :embarrassed: Reilly says that the tank looks like someone went through it with a wrecking ball. :beat_shot:

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it turned out great. Now that it has cleared and you're had a chance to sit and look at it you'll see things that you want to move around. That will probably go on for a month or so (M@ry Ruth moved some things in her tank today). At least now you can sit back and catch your breath.

Good Job!!

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Harry. I will have to move things around for sure. Reilly was wondering why all my rocks and corals are so white. He thought that they were either covered by sand or bleached. It turned out that they were all placed upside down showing their light underbellies :eek:ps:.

The color of my new XM20 looks a lot different from my Phoenix 14K right now. I suppose that XM20 will lose its blue spikes in a month or two and start looking more like Phoenix. I wanted to use the new Phoenix SE lamps but they were just too expensive. I am not too happy about the color at the moment, but I suspect the color will shift some.

Since I kept my Aqua Medic pendant light fixture very close to the water surface to maximize the light intensity, my corals don't seem to be affected by the light with Lumen Bright reflector behind it. A number of people said that Lumen Bright makes MH light so intense that corals tend to bleach initially. I am not sure how true this is, but I am keeping an eye on my corals. So far my corals look drab or browned up a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt they are sulking. I need to move them and get them situated. Maybe tomorrow. In the mean time, the extra corals I kept in a large container (for scratch and dent sale) seem to have gone bad. The powerhead did not work well. There are some good size live rocks in there. It looks like I am curing the rocks now.... The room stinks. Then, someone peed on the plastic. I don't know who or why. More things to clean up. At least it was on the plastic instead of on the carpet.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I am working on the right side of the stand this afternoon. I placed my ATO reservoir, calcium reactor and CO2 cylinder inside the stand for a fit. I think I still have enough room for my GAC/GFO reactors.

180update002.jpg

While I was busy working under the tank, my Koralia fell off and got my tank all white again :(. I guess that the tank don't want me to rearrange rocks and corals today...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back