Tona's 200g - Office Reefer

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking stable. I finally got the auto water changes going at the 7 week mark, which is the recommended start date for water changing in the Zeovit system. I change out 17000mL per day. It runs about 2/3 of a cup out every 15 minutes. I'm concerned about the life cycle of the DOS but we will see how it does for a while. I gotta tell ya. The auto water changing is the bees knees.

I also went ahead and changed one Stream3 out for two WAV's. I prefer the controllability and better directional flow.

I was going to take a tank pic today but I spilled Neptune CD pellet food in the tank and it's cloudy. I'll get one up soon. Anyone with a Neptune AFS, here is some friendly advice. NEVER try to remove the pellet cartridge without removing the whole unit from the tank. Twice now I have tried to remove it and have spilled pellets. The front cover comes off more readily than the cartridge from the housing. Sigh .... This time I spilled a lot. A Metric **** Ton actually. smh ...

Anyone with experience on programming the Tunze Osmolator, that would be cool to get it off the ON mode. Although it's a very reliable device as is, I'm not sure what I could gain from Neptuning it up.

upload_2017-5-3_14-28-12.png
Couldn't u just make it
Fallback off/on
Set on

Then it's just like having the switch on

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the ghost working out? Able to handle the flow from the L1? Does it keep your surface clean?

It's fantastic. The L1 is running full speed and it is handling flow very well with no apparent issues in the sump. Naturally, I'm throttling it on the primary going into the Rollermat so I am of the opinion (as Synergy has stated elsewhere) that the secondary is actually handing more flow than the primary.
It is also pretty quiet. I like the sound it produces. It is peaceful and soft. It's not silent but its close enough for me.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lax in my updates so I thought I’d post here some thoughts.

Tank is looking really nice. I like zeovit and I think it’s keeping me personally in tune with my tank. It’s clean and I haven’t had any algae issues.

I’ve had setbacks but they are significant only in that the common denominator is that I keep doing dumb things. But I’m learning and it’s actually been good. QT is a good thing. I’m actually good at it now. I think my prior tanks over the years that I’ve been good at “managing” things. Now I truly believe I’m pretty good at prevention and cure. The things I learn here in R2R is key. Lots of smart and helpful folks.

Corals are looking great. They are growing and looking good. I’ll try to get some pics soon. Fish are hogs and healthy.

I love the ATI LED Hybrid Powermodule.
Here is a sneak peak at my program. I run 4B+ bulbs, 2 Coral Plus bulbs and 2 actinics.
Powermodule.JPG

I did, in fact, decide to run with the WAV pumps. I took both Stream3s out. Again, nothing bad to say about them. They’re big and move a lot of water. I just think I get plenty of water flow with the WAV pumps. I run mostly Malibu and Mavericks but I throw in some Pipeline and Trestles too when I’m clearing things out. Here is my programming at the moment. I change it up periodically. The acros love it. They have really nice PE. And the flow is low enough in strategic locations that the LPS are looking happy too.

WAV.JPG

I’ll work harder to update more often

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I’d share some photos: I know I know - iPhone 6s back cam
Full shot followed by some close ups. Everything is pretty small at the moment.

8E2C7F8B-94CB-4FD2-B59E-AD9011D673FA.jpeg

Purple tang - I think I got my reflection a bit
B65C2222-40EA-42F1-B2AD-FD66F3EC7E72.jpeg

Favia supremcalifragilistic ;)
3DFDD246-95BD-45D3-9443-E79E841B9CA8.jpeg

Pink Daisy Goniopora
5011C7E2-AFE2-47E2-AB0F-EF98B8373B2C.jpeg

Fancy whatchamacalit
6FF7ACA4-C031-45F7-B740-8E5759204B0D.jpeg

Acans - love em ... Goni up behind them.. monti’s on upper right
53EA14B4-B7E3-4DA8-B437-8F1CAF0781FD.jpeg

Symphilia Wilsoni
4731373C-BCC6-4BC5-8A02-2ABE7899B073.jpeg

JF Crybabies
743E518E-42BD-476E-9D36-29690D6F3F55.jpeg

Desjardini Sailfin - love this dude
A4F87A43-0A71-4926-9AB9-A165E9238C43.jpeg

Leprechaun something or other
8BA1F9F9-26AA-4EB6-B5AB-4D56EBB86D1A.jpeg

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It’s a good place to sit and get work done. Calm and peaceful. Just enough turning water sound to be soothing.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looked like when I bought it. I put it in the tank on 9/26.
upload_2017-10-24_11-39-58.png

Here it is today. All blowed out and grown over the edges of the frag plug.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for half the week and left the tank completely unattended. Before, I would have staff at my office do routine feeding. So I was a little nervous.

I am not gonna say it’s bulketproof but this week was a good week for my confidence level in the tank doing well. The glass had a little green film on it (which I don’t really know why it happens) but otherwise all is great.

I had to do some extra sand removal from where my tiger watchman just covers entire structures. He’s amazing. I’ll post a pic soon.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo .. thought you would be happy to see and I am very pleased to say that my long tentacled anemone has survived my poor husbandry - I didn’t have covers on my circ pumps.

It’s looking great and has colored up. It’s a light green color and looks none the worse for wear. Now if only I could get the clowns to “discover” it - or the Rose BTA.

19A15A3A-F8BB-4F0A-8EE7-319D1C408D97.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to show you all my AV Rated Excavation Team. He’s recently come up from the minors and is a straight up world class digger. This dude makes ElChapo look like a toddler in a sandbox.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
El Chapo is keeping the sand nice and white. But he’s nearly decimated the zoa/paly colonies that were on the center rock island.

I’ve been struggling with water clarity to be honest. I just don’t know what’s going on. I lost a few sps frags. At first, it was overly white cloudy, which indicates to me that I had bacterial over growth. So I dialed the Zeo products back. Now I’m less white cloudy and more green cloudy. So I’ve got to find a happy medium somewhere. The system hasn’t been easy for me.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It’s a work in progress and I’m learning daily. Honestly, I’m probably the best advocate for the hobby. It requires dedication and patience. And lots of learning. The tank is not where I want it to be, but I’ve got the bones and a good start for it. It’s kind of funny. The tank has had water in it for about a year and I feel like I’m still just starting. lol. But it’s really enjoyable and someday I hope to get there where we see the masters.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back