OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on my anemone that nearly died. It’s big and beautiful. Deep purple body with green tips and they glow beautifully. I got it and it was white bleached. I’ll try to show a before and after here. It’s almost hard to believe that it’s the same anemone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C88011EE-236D-451E-9109-DAEDD0BFA61A.jpeg
2ADC83BA-4CD7-4044-808D-437835F26A9B.jpeg

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my current maint and dosing schedule. I am NOT quite dialed in so dont take this to heart. It's close but not quite there. Mileage will vary.

Tona
Current maint and dosing schedule 2018.04.01.JPG

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very disconcerting that I adhere to strict qt protocols. I have put coral frags and fish in QT diligently. I dip and treat. And yet, here I am now with rampant green bubble algae and aptasia. I worked so hard to keep this crap out of my tank. Makes me want to puke and quit. Hate it. I buy from reputable dealers only and yet, here I am. ***

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very disconcerting that I adhere to strict qt protocols. I have put coral frags and fish in QT diligently. I dip and treat. And yet, here I am now with rampant green bubble algae and aptasia. I worked so hard to keep this crap out of my tank. Makes me want to puke and quit. Hate it. I buy from reputable dealers only and yet, here I am. ***

Sorry to hear man. I'm wary of magic fixes, but both Vibrant (bubble) and Berghia Nudibranchs (aiptasia) have been magic fixes for some. I don't believe coral dips will kill bubble algae, you'd need to use H202 (which carries it's own risks).

Good luck

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man. I'm wary of magic fixes, but both Vibrant (bubble) and Berghia Nudibranchs (aiptasia) have been magic fixes for some. I don't believe coral dips will kill bubble algae, you'd need to use H202 (which carries it's own risks).

Good luck

thanks, I have purchased nudibranchs but they have done nothing. I am told that leopard wrasse and mccoskers will leave them alone but I don't know. @Reeftown just tell me to be patient. But I have purchased twice. Once in November and once about 6 weeks ago. They have done nothing.

I have considered Vibrant. I dont know what else may work. I have tried manual removal and it appears to be worse. I have considered Fluconazole.

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, well. I'm not sure if its good news or not but its not bubble algae. It is confirmed dinoflagellates. So does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this nonsense?

IMG_1907.JPG

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea hows the dino battle?

OP
OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry for the delay @mdbannister and @revhtree

thanks @mattgsa

it really is maturing. The tank is running well.

So here is what I did to battle the dinos. ... I added fluconazole on two separate occasions. Before each time, I did a manual rock scrub with a long handled bottle brush that I got with a turkey baster. I wasn't too rough to be honest. I just brushed the rocks. I believe the fluconazole worked very well. I took the skimmer cup off and let it run over to keep oxygen in the system. The tank microbubbled like crazy but it wasn't too awful. As part of an all out assault, three days after each of the fluconazole treatments, I turned off the lights for 3 solid days. The tank has gone back to what I consider normal. The tank looked really good for a solid few weeks afterwards.

At this point, I still have to deal with minor routine algae (which is typically a glass film and some on the rocks) and some dinos in the sand bed that look like normal brown "start-up" dinos. The snails and ElChapo get to it pretty quickly and keep it sifted.

I will try to get a tank shot in the next day or so.

Thanks for asking.

*edit* just for others who may be reading, after i passed each of the 3 day lights out I did a 50g water change (about 25%). After the second treatment, I added new carbon. I took the carbon out while I was running the fluconazole treatment.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back