Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I just set up a fluval Evo 13.5 and was looking into ATO's for it. There are so many choices that it's overwhelming. I somewhat narrowed it down to 3 but I was hoping for some expert opinions. The three ATOs I've seen a lot about were the Tunze 3155, autoaqua micro, and the XP Aqua Duetto. My questions are which of these three would be best suited for the Evo? Is the Tunze loud pump wise? I've read that it could be but maybe that's because it's suited for a bigger tank? And isnt the XP Aqua Duetto just an upgrade to the micro? It's hard to decipher all of this haha. Thanks everyone!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this isn’t one of your choices but I use this
On all my tanks. I like the fact that I can use my own pump and it’s very easy to setup!! Just a thought!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On all my tanks. I like the fact that I can use my own pump and it’s very easy to setup!! Just a thought!
I use that one too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW you can use another pump on the Tunze 3155/3152 as well :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Autoaqua Smart ATO and am very pleased with it!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go for the Tunze Osmolator. It’s been around for years and is generally very reliable and it’s what’s going in my new large tank with its additional outlet socket to power a bigger pump.

i wouldn’t say the Tunze pump is load as such, you can hear it, but I find it kind of reassuring knowing it’s working

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just set up a fluval Evo 13.5 and was looking into ATO's for it. There are so many choices that it's overwhelming. I somewhat narrowed it down to 3 but I was hoping for some expert opinions. The three ATOs I've seen a lot about were the Tunze 3155, autoaqua micro, and the XP Aqua Duetto. My questions are which of these three would be best suited for the Evo? Is the Tunze loud pump wise? I've read that it could be but maybe that's because it's suited for a bigger tank? And isnt the XP Aqua Duetto just an upgrade to the micro? It's hard to decipher all of this haha. Thanks everyone!

Micro

I have the 3155 and the magnet is large and the pump tends to overfill a bit if you unplug it for maintenance. This is a real problem for tanks with tiny back chambers. It is my favorite ATO but not for a small tank. The reason it is my favorite is because I have had it a billion years and it still works great.

I also have the micro and it has a tiny footprint, great for tiny tanks and no real shortcomings that I have noticed so far. It won't overfill your back chamber and fits easily. This thing can be used a 1/4 gallon pico easy.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a prepackaged ATO, the Tunze has the best reputation. I had one, they work fine.

If you're a DIY kind of guy, with a little work, you can build better, with more redundancy, for less.

My DIY ATO consists of the incoming RODI line passing through an electric ball valve. That valve shuts off if the power fails, or if the water level in the sump is above normal. From there, it goes into a mechanical float valve. Normally, the float valve runs the thing, but if it fails, a high level sensor catches it, and closes that ball valve... and my Apex sends me an email.

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put the Duetto on our 13.5... So far;

Pros -
Super quite.
Small footprint.

Cons -
Sensor cable tends to pull and spin the sensor off true vertical causing false readings.
Kinda hard to dial in compared to our Tunze 3155 on the bigger tank.

Tim

Benanoreef13.5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the auto aqua smart ato micro on my evo and love it. Much quieter than my tunze 3155 on my reefer 250. Never over fills. havent had any problems at all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back