Tony's 1.5 gal puddle

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the boring business of cycling is out of the way, it's time to start the build thread for my side project; my "puddle", as my friends call it.

I rarely post projects before they are finished, but patience is devolving into laziness with this one, so hopefully posting here keeps me moving.

The tank is a 1.5 gallon Seapora (formerly Deep Blue) betta tank, converted into an AIO (all-in-one) (No reef-specific acronyms or initialisms in this thread without writing the longhand out, please. This is a newbie-friendly thread!)
20200218_055340-01.jpeg

I created this tank with two purposes in mind:
1. Make a tank that just about any member of Reef2Reef could both afford to build and be able to maintain.
2. Make an awesome aquascape without using anything difficult or expensive.

With this in mind, I set up a few rules for myself:
1. No single piece of equipment or livestock may cost more than $40, with one exception: an RODI unit (reverse osmosis with deionization), because I don't consider it optional and they cost what they cost.
2. No unproven methods, no weird additives, no fancy-pants automation.
3. No modifying in complicated ways that require major equipment, time, know-how, or expense.

With all that said:
-Tank: 12" x 6" x 6" Seapora betta tank- modified into an all-in-one through the addition of a roughly 6 x 6 piece of black acrylic serving as a false back.
-Light: Aquaticlife Reno 9in adjustable clamp-on led - modified to add more blue which I will explain in detail in a later post.
- Filtration and water movement: Ovation 210 submersible power filter, approx 60 gph, restricted to about 35 by narrowing the outlet.
- Water: RODI (reverse osmosis with deionization)
The initial fill was done with water from my thriving sps tank which can be seen here. I do not consider this cheating, because surely SOMEONE on here would be nice enough to provide a newbie with 1.5 gallons of water from their established tank! If not, I'm sure a store would happily pull 1.5 gallons from a display tank for a nominal fee.
All subsequent water changes are carried out with newly-mixed saltwater that is allowed to sit overnight. Maintaining salinity at 35ppt (parts per thousand), or, if you prefer to think in Specific Gravity, 1.026sg.
Water Changes: 1/2 gallon, once per week. I mix it up at the same time as I do water changes on my sps tank. If I only had this tank, I would probably mix up a few gallons at a time and aerate it until I needed it.
Rock: About 1 pound of live rock rubble from a semi-local fish store in Allentown, PA. Real live rock. In this case, mostly small pieces from coral bases, or branch skeletons from corals that came to them dead. In such small quantities, this is not too hard to get.

That's enough for now, I'll go into more detail later, when I am on the laptop where I can type faster.

As for the aquascape...you'll just have to wait and see. ;-)

Last edited:

Reef Mania LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it! cant wait to see how this pico turns out, love the name! are you only doing corals in this? maybe a shrimp?

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the rules, it will probably be softies. Fish and inverts will depend on if I can find things that look prportionally correct with the scape.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to explain the light in a bit more detail:
The stock reno light uses 6 watts has a 2:1 ratio of blue led to white led, which will grow coral just fine, but doesn't make for the best viewing. To remedy this, I simply got a bit of waterproof blue led tape with quick connectors and spliced the wires onto the existing power supply, taking care not to exceed the recommended total wattage. I soldered them and used shrink tube to make them a bit more pretty, but it could just as easily be done with wire nuts or other small solderless connectors.
87073767_10121612120070024_3734510369230553088_o.jpg
86757123_10121612127530074_3529415239781056512_o.jpg

In order to accommodate the clip that attaches the reno to the tank, a notch needed to be cut into the plastic rim. The rim on such a small tank is just a fairly soft plastic, so this was easy to do with a small coping saw blade to cut the opening to size and a sharp knife to score and snap the plastic off the back.
86932360_10121612124161824_6182645400147591168_o.jpg

I also cut the glass lid to the tank just short enough to allow a small amount of air exchange to the back chamber and to accommodate an adjustable 25w heater. This does not create any significant evaporation, and the tank could easily go for more than a week before the pump would start sucking air. 9 days of evaporation would change the salinity by about 2%, so there are no worries about stability.

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck it sounds like its going to be pretty cool! i will be sure to keep up with this! also should i start a build thread for my tiny 2 g nano reef because i am going to be adding coral to it and maybe MAYBE maybe even a small fish or shrimp (most likely a shrimp) or sea star or just another crab of sorts as we go along. it has a pretty good scape if i do say so myself right now and despite its tiny size I'm very proud of it because it is healthy and beautiful and thats all i care about! QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!! haha

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm...no can do, I'm afraid. Growing them out would prevent me from using the rock the way I intend, I'm sensitive to Euphyllia stings, and they would take nearly a year to grow out to a saleable size, at which point, I'd be lucky to get $10 a head. I can trade a single jawbreaker and get more credit tomorrow than I can in a year of growing them out. So, seeing as how they popped out of a rock that literally cost me 5 cents, I'm just not feeling merciful.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update: I've put this project on hold until the nonsense of our current situation blows over. The aquascaping is only half finished, but the tank will continue to run.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back