Too many snails?

Gudetamom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a reef tank I got that was established well before I got it. I am new to reefing and revived all of the corals inside this tank back from death. But one thing I thought was off is the staggering amount of snails that are in there. Is there such a thing as too many? Should I rehome them? Would this be messing with my levels in the tank? Would love some input. (Every tiny black spec is a snail)

20200623_165611.jpg 20200623_165617.jpg 20200623_165629.jpg

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a lot of ceriths i would trade some of them in looks like the lfs stock tank : P
but yeah i'd trade som of those guys in.

Brian82143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about trading/selling some. They will likely begin to die off if there is not enough food for all of them until you reach the level needed for your tank.

OP
OP
Gudetamom

Gudetamom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a lot of ceriths i would trade some of them in looks like the lfs stock tank : P
but yeah i'd trade som of those guys in.
It's funny because I know there at least 100 of them, I spent about an hour picking them from the previous owners sand cus I felt bad to just chuck them. I'll see if my local store would want them cus I cannot in good faith just chuck them.

OP
OP
Gudetamom

Gudetamom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about trading/selling some. They will likely begin to die off if there is not enough food for all of them until you reach the level needed for your tank.
I have several large snails and like 100 tiny ones, how many for about a 35gal would be a reasonable amount?

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a lot!
it really depends on the set up for the # of snails..... IMO the less the better so they don't starve, however I think the actual # is greatly debatable. I only have about 15-20 cleaner snails/crabs in a 180.

OP
OP
Gudetamom

Gudetamom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a lot!
it really depends on the set up for the # of snails..... IMO the less the better so they don't starve, however I think the actual # is greatly debatable. I only have about 15-20 cleaner snails/crabs in a 180.
Thanku!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back