Too many water changes?

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was in the middle of dealing with a massive diatom bloom and then while I was at work my tank was without power for 6-8 hours. (1/12 was the outage)Everything looked OK after I got the temp back up and pump and air stone running, but as the days went on and I did 10% water changes each day my corals have either died or are almost dead. Mushroom corals are spitting filaments and shriveled and releasing from their rocks. Kenya tree looks dead. Toadstools shriveled and covered in diatoms. All snails dead. Fish are OK. Diatoms still going strong lol.
20 gal tank 77 temp, 1.025 salinity, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates from 5-10 ppm, phosphates 0.18

running phosguard since this morning to see if that might help but all the corals look terrible! Is it possible that water changes are making the situation worse?
Thanks. Hard to stay positive!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your parameters and water changes are good.

Have you checked that all the equipment is for sure running properly?

It varies a lot, but I have definitely heard of people running into issues with power outages as short as 2 hours. I'm hoping your tank bounces back!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was in the middle of dealing with a massive diatom bloom and then while I was at work my tank was without power for 6-8 hours. (1/12 was the outage)Everything looked OK after I got the temp back up and pump and air stone running, but as the days went on and I did 10% water changes each day my corals have either died or are almost dead. Mushroom corals are spitting filaments and shriveled and releasing from their rocks. Kenya tree looks dead. Toadstools shriveled and covered in diatoms. All snails dead. Fish are OK. Diatoms still going strong lol.
20 gal tank 77 temp, 1.025 salinity, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates from 5-10 ppm, phosphates 0.18

running phosguard since this morning to see if that might help but all the corals look terrible! Is it possible that water changes are making the situation worse?
Thanks. Hard to stay positive!
Don’t worry about nutrient control right now. You’ll only make the problem worse by further shocking the tank inhabitants. It’s ok if your nutrients rise for now. Wait a week, see where the tank is and if needed, do a 10% water change. Wait another week and repeat if needed.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a bag of carbon... all those upset softies could be in chemical warfare.

Water changes at proper temp and mixed should not be an issue. I change 100% water on my Pico.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your parameters and water changes are good.

Have you checked that all the equipment is for sure running properly?

It varies a lot, but I have definitely heard of people running into issues with power outages as short as 2 hours. I'm hoping your tank bounces back!
Yes everything is running perfectly :/
Don’t worry about nutrient control right now. You’ll only make the problem worse by further shocking the tank inhabitants. It’s ok if your nutrients rise for now. Wait a week, see where the tank is and if needed, do a 10% water change. Wait another week and repeat if needed.
Alright I’ll chill on trying to treat the diatoms right now and let the tank rest.
is the freshly mixed water cold?
I heat it with my spare heater and then change when it’s at 77.
Run a bag of carbon... all those upset softies could be in chemical warfare.

Water changes at proper temp and mixed should not be an issue. I change 100% water on my Pico.
Carbon leached phosphates into my water and started the diatom bloom so I’m cautious with adding more!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes everything is running perfectly :/

Alright I’ll chill on trying to treat the diatoms right now and let the tank rest.

I heat it with my spare heater and then change when it’s at 77.

Carbon leached phosphates into my water and started the diatom bloom so I’m cautious with adding more!

I would find it hard to believe GAC could leech any significant amount of phosphates. I use it in my 5g even which only holds about 3g of water after rock. Always rinse carbon and use a quality brand.

Also diatoms run out when silicates do. They are a normal part of a young tank.

You do what you want but melting softies can make others melt.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find it hard to believe GAC could leech any significant amount of phosphates. I use it in my 5g even which only holds about 3g of water after rock. Always rinse carbon and use a quality brand.

Also diatoms run out when silicates do. They are a normal part of a young tank.

You do what you want but melting softies can make others melt.
It’s a 2 year old tank, everything was beautiful and perfect then used a cheap quality carbon and had a diatom attack so I guess I figured that’s what caused it? Not sure totally though!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back