Too Much Calcium?

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my ten gallon AIO mixed reef up and running for the past 6 or so months and about a week ago I picked up a Hanna Checker for my Calcium because on the two other test kits I was using, I would get two vastly different numbers testing at the same time. For example one test kit would say 380, the other would say 520. So after testing like this for a week, i started to do two test from each test kit and even then, Test kit A, test 1, would read 400 and A2 would reed 470.

So I got a Hanna Calc checker from a friend whose girlfriend got it for him but he had already ordered it online, and right away I figured I would take three test just to see how consistent it was. 486, 486, and 487 were my readings.

Now when I got into reefing I was always told my Calc should be between 400-450, so my question is, is there such a thing of too much calcium and if so, what are some of the effects of it?

I figured that the 36ppm of calcium above 450 isnt too much so I would wait and see what you guys think before doing the water change to possibly bring it down.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium of 480ppm isn't too high. It's higher than what most reefers usually target, but I wouldn't consider it an emergency. What brand were the other two test kits? Were they from a reliable manufacturer and were they within their expiry dates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need to bring it down. IMO, 380-550 ppm calcium is fine.

Many folks have issues with the Hanna calcium checker, so I wouldn't take it as the gold standard of accuracy.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need to bring it down. IMO, 380-550 ppm calcium is fine.

Many folks have issues with the Hanna calcium checker, so I wouldn't take it as the gold standard of accuracy.

Well what would be your recommended test? With everything out there now it is hard to find something that most agree on. Well theres that, mixed with luck. I am not trying to say Salifert and Seachem are bad and I'll never use them again, I probably just got bad kits.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back