Too much flow for torches?

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - recently recovering from a major dino outbreak... All corals were royally triggered. Day two of tank being 98% dino free.... Torches haven't opened up much. Curious if flow is too much? I have them around 150-175 PAR.

Salt - 34-35.ppt
Mg - 1450
Calc - 455
Nitrate - 15
Phos - 1.4

Cheers

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited a minute and the video never loaded. Try YouTube. Did you use chemicals to eradicate the dinos? Are you sure Phosphate is 1.4 and not .14?

1697740477470.png

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, yes .14 sorry. Or .15 whatever it was. I’ll try YouTube. Thanks not sure why Google photos never works correctly. Sorry about that.

Also, no chemicals…

Higher flow through UV was key. Added phyto and pods and dialed back lighting a hair. Key was basting and basting and vacuuming 5 times a day into a sock recirculating. I about threw in the towel until yesterday I came home from work to a crystal clear tank. And fed heavy. I wasn’t feeding near enough to boost nutrients. Skimmer and genesis rock was way too efficient.

I guess I did dose bacter7 for a few days. If that counts?

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto and pods is an excellent solution. I just recommended that to someone about an hour ago. Could be my own firewall preventing the google video.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change the flow at all. It appears to be a random flow up top and some waving movements for the corals down below. I think you have the bubble and elegance(?) in the right spots and I like the movement of your alveopora/gonis. Nice job!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's a duncan on the side I would be worried about that one getting to much flow. The Torches may be upset about you changing everything more than flow. But I will say it does look like they are getting a direct blast of flow which they do not care for.

Where are the power heads? Post a pic of the whole tank and what power heads are you using?

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change the flow at all. It appears to be a random flow up top and some waving movements for the corals down below. I think you have the bubble and elegance(?) in the right spots and I like the movement of your alveopora/gonis. Nice job!
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back