Too much flow ... ?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all ...

So I am setting up a 28.5 gallon rimless to feed my addiction until I move into my permanent home. For my return pump, is using a mainland 470 gph return pump too much ? Or am I better off with a simple maxijet 900 with 230 gph return rate?

I figured I could always put a ball valve on my marine land if need be, but if the maxi jet is fine I might just go with that. But my thoughts are the faster and more I can turn that water over, the better. .....NO?

(other details ... using a AI nero 3 wave maker, planning on sps and some softies. Limited fish. HOB skimmer as well)

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is only a 20X flow which is intermediate. It depends on what you are going for. Acropora coral often like far higher flows. Most recommend 40X. World Wide Corals advocates about 100X. For a quiet lagoon setting, you might want 10X. I run at 60X and everything in the tank is fine with that. I think that I could up the flow considerably without bothering anything.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is only a 20X flow which is intermediate. It depends on what you are going for. Acropora coral often like far higher flows. Most recommend 40X. World Wide Corals advocates about 100X. For a quiet lagoon setting, you might want 10X. I run at 60X and everything in the tank is fine with that. I think that I could up the flow considerably without bothering anything.
Ahh no kidding. Interesting to say the least. So looks like that marineland is going to need to be upgraded then I need to up the flow even more, as yes I do want to have some sps in there.

What gph would you recommend for a 28.5 gallon, seeing as I would like to get back into the sps game?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not clear if this is an AIO or sump system. If sump remember you lose a lot on the head height. In any case i would look at DC return pumps with variable speed. No need to guess exactly right can adjust as needed.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not clear if this is an AIO or sump system. If sump remember you lose a lot on the head height. In any case i would look at DC return pumps with variable speed. No need to guess exactly right can adjust as needed.
There is a separating wall / separate area in the back of the tank where the sump/filter system is -- so it is on the same level as the tank

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a separating wall / separate area in the back of the tank where the sump/filter system is -- so it is on the same level as the tank
Gotcha so head height not a concern really. I would still recommend a variable speed pump with w bit more flow than you think you need and then adjust.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding correctly this is going to be the return pump from your sump right? And your sump is at the same level as the tank?

IMO its preferred to have a slower flow through the sump to give more time for your water to be skimmed / interreact with what ever is in the fuge.

Now if your only source of flow in the tank is going to be via the return, then yes go with the higher gph, but if your using a powerhead in the tank and also the return you could scale down a bit.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding correctly this is going to be the return pump from your sump right? And your sump is at the same level as the tank?

IMO its preferred to have a slower flow through the sump to give more time for your water to be skimmed / interreact with what ever is in the fuge.

Now if your only source of flow in the tank is going to be via the return, then yes go with the higher gph, but if your using a powerhead in the tank and also the return you could scale down a bit.
yes that is correct.

And I am also going to have an AI nero 3 in the tank moving the water at a good clip

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so thats 3000 GPH which would be 100x, now of course your not going to run it at maxspeed 24/7. But still your probably going to average 40-60x which should be suitable even for SPS.

Its your decision but I like slower flow through the sump for the previously stated reason.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mighty jet pump for a return on a 32g which is dc so can tune up and down. It is also tiny.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a mightyjet (538 gph) on my 25 and nothing else. It has a pretty good flow. Just make sure not to use the smallest connector in the box when you set it up. That restricts things quite a bit.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run more than 5x through my sump, I want more contact time with the filtration methods.
The other 30-50x is just wavemakers.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back