Too much flow?

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newly cycled and set up 40 breeder with a couple clowns so far and they hangout in a dead spot right above one of the wavemakers. I did some research a while back before buying, but am now second guessing myself that I bought some that were too powerful. I'm currently running with x2 Jebao OW-25s on the slowest and least powerful setting on opposite ends of the tank. There are no dead spots, but I'm unsure if I should downgrade to x2 Jebao SOW-4 or not. I could just be in my head with all this too :grinning-face-with-sweat:. Eventually I'd like this to be a Softie and LPS dominant tank.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newly cycled and set up 40 breeder with a couple clowns so far and they hangout in a dead spot right above one of the wavemakers. I did some research a while back before buying, but am now second guessing myself that I bought some that were too powerful. I'm currently running with x2 Jebao OW-25s on the slowest and least powerful setting on opposite ends of the tank. There are no dead spots, but I'm unsure if I should downgrade to x2 Jebao SOW-4 or not. I could just be in my head with all this too :grinning-face-with-sweat:. Eventually I'd like this to be a Softie and LPS dominant tank.
Hard to say really before you have anything in the tank :p Can‘t really see if anything thrives- or if it’s suffering under too much/strong flow!

I did put 2 x Red Sea ReefWave 45’s in my 4 feet tank- and that‘s definitely (way more than) enough :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Get a couple of tester-corals in there when you’re ready and see..

OP
OP
Blukraken

Blukraken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple of tester-corals in there when you’re ready and see..
See that's also a thing I'm confused on. Should soft/LPS corals wave in the tank or be constantly pushed in a certain direction? It's hard for me to determine what good flow vs bad flow is for corals.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's also a thing I'm confused on. Should soft/LPS corals wave in the tank or be constantly pushed in a certain direction? It's hard for me to determine what good flow vs bad flow is for corals.
There will be just as many opinions on what good and correct flow is as there is reef tanks out there! Generally, LPS tanks does nor require the same amount of flow and turnover as SPS tanks- but it is not quite as simple as that..

Browse around on YouTube- you will find that there is an abundance of good information out there! Start with this one and work your way from there :)

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 38 and have the same Jebao's. My tank loves flow. I wouldn't over think it unless you see corals struggling.

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish did the same thing at first, but you gotta give them some time before they are swimming around. Also, size and age plays a factor (mostly size). If you have juveniles, they may not be strong enough for the flow yet, so I would get a netted breeder box to keep them in for a little bit.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't just flow as being too much/too little based on clown behavior especially if you just added them to the system. I also don't pay mine too much attention at night since I've noticed they do some strange things once the lights go off lol

Let them adjust and then take a look based on what coral you want to keep, LPS is pretty good at telling you if it's happy or not based on extension

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back