OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. LEDs are great, but they're not magical, and they're certainly not all the same. If those units used had the same wattage but used brand LEDs instead of no-name generic chips, then it would be better, but as they are, they just do not have the output, it is simply not there.
What are you basing your opinion on? Have you done studies? How do you know they are not quality chips being used?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you basing your opinion on? Have you done studies? How do you know they are not quality chips being used?
Based on the specifications and information provided by the manufacturer. If they were brand LEDs, they would be listed as such. 8w across six chips gives a little over 1w per LED. A knock-off Chinese white 3w LED puts out about 150 lumens at 700ma (being generous), which is about 2.5w. These are not underdriven 3w LEDs, though, so I'd venture to guess that they put out a little over 50 lumens apiece. Times six and that gets you 300 lumens - a number that I can match with a single Philips LED, which is far less than I would recommend put over a 16g tank.

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is curious, here is what the tech at IM sent me a few weeks back.
It helped me decide to go with the IM Nuvo and the Skyye light
http://www.innovative-marine.com/skkye-light/par-graph/clamp-par-page.pdf

I love the number ranges they have for those. The reading for the 8w one goes from 80-320. That's quite the range, is incredibly and purposely misleading, and should not be trusted.

Besides, that's at 1", in air, under the fixture. I'd love to see someone grow a coral there.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the number ranges they have for those. The reading for the 8w one goes from 80-320. That's quite the range, is incredibly and purposely misleading, and should not be trusted.

Besides, that's at 1", in air, under the fixture. I'd love to see someone grow a coral there.
Where do you see it listed as being 'in air'?

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because that's how manufacturers measure them.
Not according to Innovative Marine. Their measurments are at a depth below water surface....per the tech I have been dealing with.
Why would any manufacturer of aquarium lighting give readings 'in air'? That make little of no sense.......
But this back and forth is getting us nowhere. Why don't we just agree to disgree and move on?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not according to Innovative Marine. Their measurments are at a depth below water surface....per the tech I have been dealing with.
Why would any manufacturer of aquarium lighting give readings 'in air'? That make little of no sense.......
But this back and forth is getting us nowhere. Why don't we just agree to disgree and move on?
Manufacturers have always tested for PAR in air and not in water - it is much easier and gives higher numbers. That is just how they all do it, and I can guarantee IM is no different.

majicmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Jedi is right about not enough light. This is a quote from the thread you posted " Adding that Kessil has been the best move that I've made, growth went from slow to breathtakingly fast." If im not wrong the Kessil is 150w light. I had 120w Evolution over a 10 gallon with great results. Just trying to help but you ned more light.

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I do not need more light for what I am keeping. I do not want to keep sps and the lights I have are just fine.
My original question was posted because I was unclear why some of my softies were not opening....I now know it had nothing to do with light and everything to do with micro bubbles from my skimmer.

Thank you for all of your opinions

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back