OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea salt is not a natural dried ocean water. For matter of fact, if you dry ocean water, you wont be able to reconstitute it by adding water. The calcium, magnesium and other metal except sodium and potassium, will irreversibly form insoluble carbonate solid.
I have no idea how natural these red sea salt is.

I'm sure it's not 100% natural as in straight dried ocean water. The elevated mg ca and alk is proof of that. However, it is produced from ocean water so it is considered "natural". The other word is "synthetic", which is what Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great - another Google reefer. Get a book or two by one of the coral fathers... Veron, Shmek, etc. It is all laid out in there. This whole paradigm of "I did not know about it and cannot Google it, so it must not be true and prove it to me" is a bit troubling.For the rest of the folks who really want to know what is going on... lots of PE is likely no issue most of the time... but this can point to a problem, so know what you are doing and pay attention so that you can tell if one should arise. Hyper coloration can also be a problem. So can lots of growth.
Many of the 'truths' in books from the 'coral fathers' have been found to be untrue. Especially when it comes to 'cause and effect'. I hope you realize that you can use google to get to sites that allow you to search scientific papers and view abstracts if not the entire paper. Since you never quote the post you're referring to in your posts its always difficult to figure out exactly what you're talking about - but I merely asked for some data or a paper that suggests that a lot of PE represents a problem in a functioning aquarium (not in a bucket, not in a shipping. bag, etc etc). I guess I thought the way the forum is supposed to work is that if you post an idea or an answer that you have data to back it up. You're the one suggesting it causes a problem - seems to me its up to you to back up your statements as compared to saying 'go find it in a book'.

Who said that there was? There is a problem with discounting knowledge in books and lectures because you cannot find an answer that you like better with Google. Besides, we are not talking about husbandry... biology, anatomy and physiology has not really changed much in the last twenty years.
No one discounted knowledge in books and lectures. Perhaps the actual biology, anatomy and physiology of coral hasn't changed over 20 years - but the understanding of the processes involved in growth, genetics, and almost every facet of research has exploded over 20 years.

chromis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned, just curious as to why my PE is so good. I've never seen PE like mine before either in person or images. I also don't like the way some of my SPS look. My Tubs Stellata is nothing but green polyps. The appeal of the coral (at least to me) is the combination of bright green polyps and skeletal structure. My Forest Fire Digitata have so much polyps it's growing and covering the tips.

I think my acro looks fuzzy because the corallites haven't formed yet. Aren't they suppose to be tucked inside the small tubes and cups on their skeletons?

Corallites and polyp morphology vary between species. Your PE looks normal to me. I get that you might not like the shag look, I used to not like millis for that reason, but now I think they’re really cool. Millis, tenuis and digitata tend to be pretty shaggy, but there are a lot of nice staghorns, echinatas, and torts with smaller polyps that you might like better.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doomed!

28395279147_03c79ec415_b.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back