Too much pressure for my RODI?

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got the RODI floodguardian from saltwater aquarium.com and installed it into my aquatic life Ro DI twist in unit only to find out the shut off valve makes the DI go through too much pressure and start leaking...where should i be installing the valve? Here’s pics image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your pressure coming into the unit? The instructions should tell you where to install everything. My booster shutoff goes the way yours is shown while the auto shutoff is before everything and has the waste line in as well

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your pressure coming into the unit? The instructions should tell you where to install everything. My booster shutoff goes the way yours is shown while the auto shutoff is before everything and has the waste line in as well
Not sure. How would i put the shutoff before it gets the the part where there is waste water? The way it is made makes it almost impossible to cut tubing and put a valve there...

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you dont have it double pushed in just right

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you dont have it double pushed in just right
I m pretty sure it is. I think that since the waste water still flows, water is still being pushed into the system but being stopped at the valve

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the shut off between the RO system and the DI and it will stop the flow no problem.

That being said your DI should not be leaking even when stopped
I tried that before and the waste water continued to flow...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're flood guardian should be installed before the entire system in this case. It is not the same as an Auto Shut off valve that others are referring to.

FWIW regardless your system shouldn't be leaking when the flow is stopped... I would check the connections and fittings carefully and make sure they are seated properly

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the system is running but your shutoff valve is closed right after the di? I would want my shutoff at the inlet to the whole system.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the directions, it actually tells you not to install it before the water gets filtered because the unfiltered water can clog it or something. Thx for the replies everyone

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the directions, it actually tells you not to install it before the water gets filtered because the unfiltered water can clog it or something. Thx for the replies everyone

I find that rather odd (the only reason I can think of is the heat from the valve could cause some calcification on the valve itself preventing it from operating properly) but in that case the only other place it can go is before your membrane. Which I know is probably impossible on your unit. Unfortunately this is one of the many drawbacks of these twist in units and why I never recommend them. You're only real option is to purchase an auto shut off valve kit...

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that rather odd (the only reason I can think of is the heat from the valve could cause some calcification on the valve itself preventing it from operating properly) but in that case the only other place it can go is before your membrane. Which I know is probably impossible on your unit. Unfortunately this is one of the many drawbacks of these twist in units and why I never recommend them. You're only real option is to purchase an auto shut off valve kit...

I am going to try installing it before the entire system. Thoughts?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a flood guardian but I do run 90 psi through my RO/DI system. The handful of times that I've had leaks is either from the push fit fitting seal wearing out (15 yr old unit) or from simply recutting the RO tubing properly with a razor or RO tubing cutter.
You'll be surprised how sometimes it's as simple as getting a correct cutting of the RO tubing can make a difference.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try installing it before the entire system. Thoughts?

It would still be my suggestion and it will work, over time it "May" fail but so will everything in our hobby at some point. I'm not sure what the life expectancy would be for it being installed there so I can't give that info to you. If you want to be 100% sure you're covered you can purchase the valve and float I posted above and use those as a backup incase the flood guardian fails.

Last edited:
Back