Too soon to add a Goby?

Dinwooj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for 3 months and has a pair of Ocellaris clowns and a fox face. 75 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Is it too soon to add a diamond goby? How reliant are they on established food sources living in the sand bed or can they just be fed?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for 3 months and has a pair of Ocellaris clowns and a fox face. 75 gallon Red Sea Reefer. Is it too soon to add a diamond goby? How reliant are they on established food sources living in the sand bed or can they just be fed?
I would say too soon. Maybe after a year or even two and you have added a lot of coral or other aged media sources that have worms, amphipods, copepods, etc, and they have had a chance to multiply and make a population in the sand and rocks. Valencienna Gobies can definitely eat frozen foods sometimes, but they need to eat a lot of small meals very often. If your sand bed is not mature they will probably get really skinny or slowly starve even if they eat frozen. I started with a very small Valencienna Sexguttata in my new 4 ft setup even after a year and he did get a little skinny at first. But he has now grown and has a nice full flat tummy as my sandbed has matured now that the tank is 2.5 years old.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back