Took the plunge (Coral Beauty)

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dwarf angelfish! I’ve had him for 2 days already, and he wasn’t picked on any corals as of now, but he isn’t eating any food I give. Pellets, LRS frozen, or nori. All my fish go crazy for these foods. I’ve never experienced a fish that ignores it which is surprising me. One thing though, he is constantly (and I mean constantly) picking at the live rocks. Like, the entire day. Never saw him pick at a coral, so I’m hoping it stays like that, but I’d really feel better I saw him eat!

Here’s a video of him. I noticed his colors are more muted than other coral beauties, do you think he’ll brighten up as he ages?

Also, Yes, I noticed his tail fined kinda got ripped. I blame the damselfish, but the aggression stopped now.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my wife's favorite fish when I had a FOWLR tank...

I love my LPS corals, through, so I haven't gotten one yet...

Update us on how it behaves around your corals once it gets accustomed to its new home!

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had one in my reef for quite some time now. Honestly, I think flame angels are more worrisome than coral beauties

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Does anyone know if his muted colors are normal?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Muted Colors? Looks like a gorgeous Coral Beauty to me. Mine also has the predominantly sapphire blue color (although it can appear purple or magenta on the head depending which way the light hits it). Personally I like it more than the ones that are all the center pattern tiger stripe. As for the behavior, this is standard for dwarf angels. In the wild they are predominantly algae grazers and this is why I recommend introducing one into a well established tank with algae growing. I don't think mine touched food of any kind for about a week (he was constantly nibbling at algae in and around the rockwork though) and then started nibbling at Seaweed/Nori and then LRS Reef Frenzy. If you don't have much algae in your tank you could try rubber banding some nori to a rock and seeing if it will go for it that way.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!

I would be patient - within reason - you can get an acclimation box to introduce it - fish can survive fora long time without feeding. contrary to popularbelief (the shorter the better).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back