Took the plunge into clams

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought first clam last week. I got him online. He is a Maxima clam about 1.5 inches. I drip acclimated him. My calcium level was 500 when I tested a couple days before introducing him, ALk is 9 but I don't know what magnesium is as I have never tested for it. My tank is 55gl with 4 54W T5s, 2 actenic and 2 daylight. He is sitting about four inches from the bottom on LR. I have been target feeding with Phytofeast from a syringe everyday. I really like him and hope he has a good home. I have been reading some of the threads on here and I don't notice anything unhealthy looking about him according to all that. He opens all the way during the day, incurrent and outcurrent siphons look fine, mantal is not frayed or worped. He has some flow where he is but not a lot. He has been reacting quickly to my hands getting near him and to shadows but after reading some on here I got curious so I stuck my hand in and he didn't close up when I touched him. It is 4 am and the light has been off since 8pm so he was already partially closed and he did react to my hand but didn't close up all the way. Is that a bad sign? anything you can tell me would be great. I have some pics of him to show you.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks fine, with nice placement where the clam will not fall. Congratulations on your 1st clam.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Looks good and don not be surprised if it moves around a bit to better suit its needs. My new lil T. maxima similar to yours has pretty much covered a 3" x 5" area to find its perfect spot, 1/2" from where I first placed it....lol

Cheers, Todd

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking clam..would love to own some but not with my angels...the behavior you are experiencing is normal.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, this makes me feel better. At 1.5 inches he's not that impressive yet but he is beautiful. One more question. The only magnesium test I have found cost 50 bucks. I have never tested for it before so is it worth it to pay that much money for one test?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several or even most Mg Test Kits available for under $30 on-line like Red Sea, Elos and Salifert. And yes for an ongoing Reef its important to know Mg levels as they play a critical roll in overall balance with Calcium and Alk.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never think about looking online. I don't like the shipping fees and when i want something I went it now! LOL But I did find a Red sea product that was dirt cheap so I just ordered it. Thanks for the suggestion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back