Tool Recommendation / Cutting Downflow Pipe

Reefer Stride 42

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2025
Messages
19
Reaction score
37
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My new 4 month old aquarium’s downflow pipe is about 1’ too long and bypasses the hole to feed into the sump. I’ve been using a funnel (pictured) for the past few months but it will occasionally tilt, or fall down, causing a leak. I’ve decided it’s definitely time to rectify the issue before a major leak happens overnight or while I’m away. I’m not much of a handyman however I figured I’ll probably need to be in this hobby.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far tools go to cut the pipe? I’ve seen a few tools recommended on this site for the job but I can’t recall what they were.

Any help is appreciated! Attached is the picture of the current setup.

Thanks!

IMG_7250.jpeg
 
PVC pipe cutter is the preferred option.
Available in the hardware stores in the sprinkler or plumbing department
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new