Top 10 or 15 wrasses?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like most of them so I can not list a order of 10 but one of my favs is Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki) .. Yea it is not rare or expensive but has a great personality and lots of color.

I also like the Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly on appearance:
1. Female bluestar leopard
2. Mystery
3. Scott's fairy
4. Linneatus
5. Sixline- i think they are underrated because of their abundant availability and inexpensive pricetag
6. Any carpenter family
Most of the others stand really close on my list so i am cutting it short

wrassegauche17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negrosensis
meleagris
carpenterii
bipartitus
Flavianalis
rhomboid
lineatus
tamarin
mccoskers
lubbocks
solorensis
radiant
sea grass
dusky
dragon
femininus
queen coris
goldflake

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negrosensis
meleagris
carpenterii
bipartitus
Flavianalis
rhomboid
lineatus
tamarin
mccoskers
lubbocks
solorensis
radiant
sea grass
dusky
dragon
femininus
queen coris
goldflake

Great list! I couldn't help but notice the sea grass wrasse, that is such a rare gem. I have a friend who has wanted one for a very long time. Not much information on them either.

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my CUBAN HOG. Common, cheap easy. Underatred.
I went through a period 20 years ago when I was obsessed with Psychadelic wrasse. I tried several juveniles , no luck getting them to eat. I will try to find pic from web. Juveniles are brown, with white spots, and red tail.
image.jpg
[
image.jpg
image.jpg
ATTACH=full]243254[/ATTACH]

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided Psychadelic wrasse is impossible. Any body else keep them alive???
Until now they've been under my radar entirely! Anampses (sp) are uncharteded territory for this wrasse lover as of yet.

Are they expensive?

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think juveniles are expensive. But I have not seen one offered lately. Maybe they stopped selling , because you could not get them to feed. I think they sold in 20 dollar range. I think they collected from Hawii , but they are found other places also. .???

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it to you wrasse guys to use Latin names... I'm going back to the tang thread. [emoji38]

Lol! These wrasse guys are teaching me Latin names... I resisted but they insisted...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great list! I couldn't help but notice the sea grass wrasse, that is such a rare gem. I have a friend who has wanted one for a very long time. Not much information on them either.

Sea grass wrasses, Novaculichthys taeniorus, are readily available from distributors and is not expensive.

They will come in and are bright green, but are extremely color variable based on environmental factors.

They generally are not aggressive towards fish but motile inverts are on the diet.

They will knock over rocks and corals in their search for food.

No I don't think juveniles are expensive. But I have not seen one offered lately. Maybe they stopped selling , because you could not get them to feed. I think they sold in 20 dollar range. I think they collected from Hawii , but they are found other places also. .???

They are only found in Hawaii, and not even all of the islands there.

Females are more common and are generally priced between $40-60. Males are more expensive and usually around $150-$200.

Anampses are a more challenging genus, but these are difficult by these standards.

wrassegauche17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obsess over psychadelic wrasse daily
love Solorensis, but can't get them to behave, just dropped 2nd one at lfs and thinking of picking it back up again..

wrassegauche17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenter wrasse take a beating from everyone, anyone ever keep one without it getting whipped?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenter wrasse take a beating from everyone, anyone ever keep one without it getting whipped?
Who is in the tank with him and beating him up? They are not the toughest guys on the block, but in most cases should not be faring that badly.

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched a National Geographic film once on Hammerhead Sharks. It showed how Hammerhead could use electrical impulses to detect prey buried beneath sand . The shark was doing his thing then flushed the sleeping buried wrasses .Boom ! Chomp ! A buried school of juvenial Pschychadelic wrasses disappeared a dozen at a time.
I literally screamed!!

Back