Top 10 smooth skin SPS must have

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@spsick
Here she is up close, hands down my favorite :)

20240206_135404.jpg
Beautiful! How old is that specimen?

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! How old is that specimen?
Under a year, it has been a great grower. I find Granulosa to express themselves to full, or beyond targeted lineage, as they mature. This one is now putting some stretch on her branches. She is getting close to that phase where they become showoffs, lol ;)

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to “smooth skin” Acropora, I think it’s kind of a phase many or most go through like an appreciation of a certain artist and then something else catches our eye and tables or crazy polyp extension becomes the new obsession. When I see certain Acropora species that are unique and for me it was the carloliniana that defines what a “smooth skin” Acro is even though the suharsonoi is the King of the smooth skins. Another thing is that “smooth skins” whether they branch, table or are corymbose, they are generally from deeper water and seem to really love the lower intensity and blue lighting that most people seem to be using and they look great.
(Not my pic) Acropora suharsonoi
CB6D1494-BF64-41F5-A7EF-5FA5CCF0E7E7.jpeg

From Corals of the World
94EC39EF-C170-42E9-ADCF-440E0232CBB9.jpeg

My picture of Acropora caroliniana.
87C02EBD-26EF-4162-8E32-FD216EDB77C9.jpeg

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to “smooth skin” Acropora, I think it’s kind of a phase many or most go through like an appreciation of a certain artist and then something else catches our eye and tables or crazy polyp extension becomes the new obsession. When I see certain Acropora species that are unique and for me it was the carloliniana that defines what a “smooth skin” Acro is even though the suharsonoi is the King of the smooth skins. Another thing is that “smooth skins” whether they branch, table or are corymbose, they are generally from deeper water and seem to really love the lower intensity and blue lighting that most people seem to be using and they look great.
(Not my pic) Acropora suharsonoi
CB6D1494-BF64-41F5-A7EF-5FA5CCF0E7E7.jpeg

From Corals of the World
94EC39EF-C170-42E9-ADCF-440E0232CBB9.jpeg

My picture of Acropora caroliniana.
87C02EBD-26EF-4162-8E32-FD216EDB77C9.jpeg
Thanks for this perspective. I’ve had the same thought, as a relatively newer Reefer / SPS keeper. That said I’m still waiting for the smooth skin “bug” to pass :p but I take your word that one day it will…

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this perspective. I’ve had the same thought, as a relatively newer Reefer / SPS keeper. That said I’m still waiting for the smooth skin “bug” to pass :p but I take your word that one day it will…
I feel like I want to put my hand on your shoulder and say, “Let me tell you about tabling Acropora my friend…” It’s a new world now too. LED has been a blessing. Coral divers have blue LED lights too and that’s how they have found such better pieces in all SPS & LPS that reefheads want. I remember breaking Ushio double ended metal halide bulbs at $80 a pop and the top of my head sizzling when you reached into the the tank and it touched the glass cover. The only colors were 10K, 14K & 20K. Try looking at a tank lit with 10K for a few minutes now and it’s almost depressing. Just be careful because those tables will getcha! They’re wicked ways will hypnotize you. Sometimes you can get frag vision and colors mean everything, then you see the growth pattern on a efflorescens or a turaki or hyacinthus or an echinata and you’re stuck for as long as it takes. Look what happened to my hand! I touched my Acros so much that some sort of virus caused my beautifully mutated and disfigured right hand.
4426CA37-2105-485A-87EA-A5245B4C91CA.jpeg

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I want to put my hand on your shoulder and say, “Let me tell you about tabling Acropora my friend…” It’s a new world now too. LED has been a blessing. Coral divers have blue LED lights too and that’s how they have found such better pieces in all SPS & LPS that reefheads want. I remember breaking Ushio double ended metal halide bulbs at $80 a pop and the top of my head sizzling when you reached into the the tank and it touched the glass cover. The only colors were 10K, 14K & 20K. Try looking at a tank lit with 10K for a few minutes now and it’s almost depressing. Just be careful because those tables will getcha! They’re wicked ways will hypnotize you. Sometimes you can get frag vision and colors mean everything, then you see the growth pattern on a efflorescens or a turaki or hyacinthus or an echinata and you’re stuck for as long as it takes. Look what happened to my hand! I touched my Acros so much that some sort of virus caused my beautifully mutated and disfigured right hand.
4426CA37-2105-485A-87EA-A5245B4C91CA.jpeg
Hah. Fair, my friend :) Again if there is anything this hobby has taught me it is to approach everything with the utmost humility :grinning-face-with-sweat: Still always trying to gain perspective, understanding, and appreciation for all sorts of acro species :p

Still got the smooth skin bug tho (;

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back