Top-down Porthole now available in XL size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of you have asked for a version of our Top-down Porthole that will accommodate an external focusing macro lens or other large lens. The XL Version is double the length of the original:

porthole_long_md.png

Limited quantity available in this first round, get them quick :)

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We loved the small version. Can't wait to get our XL!!!!

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We loved the small version. Can't wait to get our XL!!!!
I can't wait to see the pics you'll get with your macro lens!

I build acrylic stuff all day and for 35$ I wouldn't even break the tools out!!!!
That's a smoking deal!!! Kudos to you guys..;)
Thanks lee! Your feedback is always very much appreciated :)

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,so this will fit normal stock lences like the average stock 18-55mm kit lens right?And will you be able to adjust the focal length of the camera while it is in the "Top-down Porthole"?

CookieJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered one. Looking forward to using this instead of my square look-down box that doesn't work well because of reflections, not to mention it doesn't go very deep.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,so this will fit normal stock lences like the average stock 18-55mm kit lens right?And will you be able to adjust the focal length of the camera while it is in the "Top-down Porthole"?

I can't speak on there behalf but I believe so.. Hope so anyways lol...

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that didn't take long. LOL. Went to go order one and saw it was sold out. :(

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, thanks for the heads up. I ordered the XL version as well. This its going to work great. For those that are getting this or thinking about getting this check out this article I wrote a while back on how to shoot top down.
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Quarter 1 2010

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea when more of these will be in stock? It's on my Christmas list and my wife told me that the smaller ones were out of stock. I told her about the XL version, but by the time she looked, these were sold out too. :cry:

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I just wanted to quickly clear up some potential misconceptions:
1) The XL is not necessarily best for small "kit" lenses like the 18-55mm that comes with many DSLR bodies. It will "fit", but you will probably see the inside of the porthole barrel when zoomed out to 18mm (wide angle). The XL is designed for the large macro lenses like a 100mm, and lenses that need space for their external zoom/focus barrel (lens gets longer when zooming or focusing).
2) It is useful for decreasing the amount of water between your lens and the subject but this is not as important as #1. The XL is probably more versatile especially for those of you with multiple lenses or if you are considering getting a macro lens.
3) I am just your average photographer with a DSLR and I only use the "normal" porthole with my 50mm prime lens and 18-55 kit lens. Either one will definitely help you take better pics though :)

Hope this helps!

I enabled backorders for the XL, so you can take advantage of the Cyber Monday discount ('thanks15'). We will be building them this and next week, so they should ship out around Wed. Dec 8th. All will ship priority mail so everyone gets theirs in time for the holidays!

-Justin

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,I will need to otder both portholes then,I will be using a 100mm macro,50mm macro,50mm f/1.8,and then some of the 18-55 and 75-300mm lences.

Thanks for clearing it up...

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, you may be able to get away with just the XL. Depends on if you want to take wide angle shots at 18mm with the kit lens. 50mm should be fine. I'll report back after I try my kit lens at full wide angle with an XL.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the blk friday/cyber monday discount, but ordered one today. Can't wait to try it out. One of the guys in our local club has the regular sized model and loves it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back